Dealing with Aggressive Hens.......

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've not had any trouble with pecking in the 3 years I've kept chickens. I did have some feather pulling on the EEs beards, but it was like chicken OCD or something. :p

My coop has always been a bit too big and while that makes it hard to keep it warm, it at least gives them plenty of room. Free ranging helps a lot with preventing those neurotic chicken problems too. If they're entertained and have room to get away from each other, they seem to get along better.

I have 31 hens now and I was surprised how well they endured being cooped up for the whole month of December. I was the one going batty! :lol:

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sometimes will hang a head of cabbage from a string just high enough for the bantams to reach and peck....nutritious plus it's almost a game for them pecking at a swinging vegetable....keeps them oocupied and more passive.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's normal for chickens to fight till they work out a pecking order (who can peck who) and they usually settle down after that. Sometimes you get a really aggresive one and the only remedy for that is chicken soup.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
It's normal for chickens to fight till they work out a pecking order (who can peck who) and they usually settle down after that. Sometimes you get a really aggresive one and the only remedy for that is chicken soup.
I prefer broth which provides cooked meat for chicken tacos or slow roasted pieces myself, but I share the sentiment.