Deathcap Mushroom

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is why I've never foraged for mushrooms. I know that amanita phalloides grows here in the Northeastern USA, and looking at pictures it is very similar to other non-poisonous mushrooms. I wouldn't be able to tell one from the other.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bit fishy that the cook didn't eat the meal? And her (now former) husband became fatally ill last summer with 'serious gut problems' and nearly died after being in a coma for 2 weeks?

Last edited:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Suzee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I’ve been a mushroom gatherer for many years, and have a stack of books that I use to identify mushrooms. I once found a huge patch of delicious looking shrooms but they were unfamiliar to me. I used the books to get close to the type and was pretty sure they were edible. However, the #1RULE I use is NEVER FEED WILD MUSHROOMS TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU TRY THEM YOURSELF! I soaked them in salt water, sautéed them in butter, drained the liquid off and then took a bite. You need to wait for awhile to see if you feel bad. Death caps look pretty average at first glance, but they have some distinctive features that need to be identified. Gathering mushrooms is not for the brazen. As Elmer Fudd might say, “Be vewy, vewy careful!”

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been waiting to hear the results of this case, and looks like they came out today. 3 mrdr charges and 5 attempted mrdr charges. Throwing out the dehydrator seemed especially fishy to me, and I guess it was.

Last edited:

Latest posts