- Jan 14, 2019
- Reaction score
- Birmingham AL (Zone 8a)
Best be careful foraging mushrooms! It's almost not worth doing! I have eaten oyster mushrooms and didn't die and I want to try wild Chanterelles, but that's it. Mushrooms are scary!I cannot imagine this kind of tragedy but it is not that rare.
I’ve been a mushroom gatherer for many years, and have a stack of books that I use to identify mushrooms. I once found a huge patch of delicious looking shrooms but they were unfamiliar to me. I used the books to get close to the type and was pretty sure they were edible. However, the #1RULE I use is NEVER FEED WILD MUSHROOMS TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU TRY THEM YOURSELF! I soaked them in salt water, sautéed them in butter, drained the liquid off and then took a bite. You need to wait for awhile to see if you feel bad. Death caps look pretty average at first glance, but they have some distinctive features that need to be identified. Gathering mushrooms is not for the brazen. As Elmer Fudd might say, “Be vewy, vewy careful!”I cannot imagine this kind of tragedy but it is not that rare.