Declaring War

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunday I noticed some webbing with tiny caterpillars. I posted photos and was ID as tent caterpillars. They where on a hydrangea in a flower bed next to my front door. I burned a few with cigarette lighter. Was told Triazicidi will do the job. Yesterday I had to run up to house to pay guy working on my car. The tents have moved to my favorite tree, weeping crab apple. I love this tree. They are also destroying a Tree hydrangea tree in a urn end of driveway it is the 1st thing you see. Can I use propane cans to burn the nests. Other poisons I can use ?
upload_2018-7-5_8-48-31.png
upload_2018-7-5_8-49-57.png
upload_2018-7-5_8-49-13.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
(PDF LINK)

Cornell University, Nassau County, "... spray young larvae with Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt, Caterpillar Attack, Dipel, Thuricide), or neem."

I would be inclined to use both but not at the same time. Also, neem oil and sunlight can burn foliage so spraying in the evening and rinsing off with the hose in the AM would be a good idea.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy , have you tried using a soap spray? I've used that when tent caterpillars show up; as long as the spray is strong enough to penetrate the webbing, it will kill the caterpillars. You could also just hold a bucket/pan of soapy water beneath the web (a second set of harnds would be helpful) and just knock them into the water, which will kill them. I have used that method when the tents are low enough (they are usually much higher).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can rip the webs open and wasps will come get them and eat them. The webs are their defense against predators. Take a long stick or rake and rip the webs.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is going on here? Killing some of Gods creatures? What happened to circle of life, Kum ba ya, Peace with environment, etc. thought only mean commercial AG used chemistry to kill..... :idunno

I kid, I kid. Kill away....:thumbsup

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I was shocked at how bad the webbing was. Asian pear $$$$ killed many of my favorite trees had them. Started off with my nephew burning them with propane torch was taking way to long checked green house unopened gallon of sevin hooked up to sprayer was even able to hit nest on tops of trees. I can not believe how they killed a whole tree. Good news was cherry tree still looking good label just says dwarf tart cherry.

Latest posts