Deep-litter chicken poop ???

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes, that is very simular to what I would be doing. I would be watering it, and it would not be in comtact with the plants untill it was watered in and decomposed some. And it will be a very small amount, much less then one inch.

We shall see! :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My worry is that I've was told (years ago when I first started gardening)that chicken poo was the most concentrated & therefore needed more time to break down. :)

All I know is that when my neighbor kindly delivers poo from her ponies to me --she has a machine which picks up the poo & cuts the grass at the same time (christened by me as the "POO-VAC")-- I can use this mixture straight away as a mulch/fertiliser. It breaks down very fast because the cut grass heats up the mixture & turns it into compost which the rain takes down into the soil beneath. We have a lot of rain here of course -- I have no experience of dry areas.

I have used some cow poo but I've always put that in the compost heap and added grass clippings, leaves, shredded paper etc.

I do use my grass clippings as a mulch on top of the soil round my veggies but I put that on in thin layers but often as I find if you put a deep layer on it can make the soil too hot & the bottom leaves go brown. :th The chickens, who free-range, also regard these areas as a chicken play-ground & make a hell of a mess!!!!!

:tools :tools :tools :tools :tools

I find that all the squash, melon & tomato families seem to be able to use the goodness from nearly raw poo much more easily. Just think of all those seeds which germinate in your compost heap -- I think there is a clue there. :thumbsup

I think so many things affect our success in gardening & this forum illustrates that so if we can continue this topic as the season goes on we should come up with some interesting information for the future :ya We all have so much to learn from one another. :D

Meanwhile have a good week :bouquet I hope all those still under snow or water have dry & warm weather. :celebrate
:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I compost mine first because I use the pine bedding.... I cleaned out the whole coop after winter and into the compost it went. Its in my second pile until I use up some of my first pile that over wintered. I won't be using that pile until its time to get ready for my fall planting.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem-I believe pine bedding is very bad for your chickens. That's what they say-chicken people.
Perhaps I misunderstood you or them-lol
But I always steer clear of pine bedding for my birds just in case.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
robbobbin said:
vfem-I believe pine bedding is very bad for your chickens. That's what they say-chicken people.
Perhaps I misunderstood you or them-lol
But I always steer clear of pine bedding for my birds just in case.
I just learned this-pine has aromatics that can be bad for your bird's respiratory health. I don't know, but I personally switched to aspen, just to be safe (and will be using that in my composting).