Deep vs shallow rooted veggies?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just ordered a couple of Earth Boxes because I am in a rental with no room for a garden this year.

The EBs are only 11 inches deep. My plan is to plant more shallow rooted veggies, I am hoping squash, beans, peas, herbs, cukes, peppers etc in the EB and then I will pick up a few half whiskey barrels for tomatoes, because I know they need more root space.

Does anyone know which veggies are deep rooted vs which are more shallow rooted?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dace, I think you are right to be thinking about the rooting depth of your vegetables but I don't really have much experience growing vegetables thru the entire season in containers.

North Carolina State University has information on Vegetable Crop Irrigation, with rooting depth near the bottom of the webpage (click).

Rooting depth is noted as "S = shallow, 12 to 18 inches; M = moderate, 18 to 24 inches; D = deep, 24 inches plus" for vegetable crops.

squash, D
beans, M
peas, M
cukes, S-M
peppers, M

Squash, pumpkins, and watermelon are some of the most deeply rooted garden plants.

Steve

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback....I did a little 'digging' :lol: and found a few lists, one posted by Wifey :)

Latest posts