Dehydrator Recipes

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a search for a thread that deals with dehydrating and there are several, but none that are exclusively recipes. There are a lot of good recipes in a loose disorganized fashion in various threads. I thought it might help all of us if we could bring them all together in one spot. Some of us have been dehydrating for a long time, some of us just started and some of us just need to know how-to so we can get started.

Please be as detailed as possible when posting recipes. I know many of us (me included) just throw things together, so please write it out so a rank beginner can follow the directions. If you have posted dehydrator recipes on here before, go copy them and re-post them here too! Some things are just sliced and dehydrated, but tell us how you use them and what dishes you use them in.

You can also tell us what dehydrator you have, what you like or dislike about it. This will help others on the forum who might be interested in buying a dehydrator, in making up their mind on which one would best suit their needs.

I will start off. This is my second year of dehydrating. So, I am still rambling around trying to see what I can dehydrate and then what the heck do I do with this stuff? Last year I used a round 5 tray with forced air that belonged to my DD. I realized that I wanted to get real serious about dehydrating, so I studied dehydrators and decided on Excalibur. I got the 3900 model with 9 trays. I also bought 9 Ultra sheets for liquids. The Ultra sheets are silicone, the Paraflex and offbrand sheets are Teflon. The silicone sheets are not as sticky-free as the Teflon, but I am a Teflon-a-phobic.

I just started dehydrating a few days ago. I sliced tomatoes and dried them, packaged them in food saver bags and vacuumed them down.

Dried tomatoes are good crumbled on salads, in soups, stews, casseroles and just for a snack!

HASH BROWNS

Yesterday I made hash browns. I sliced them on the small blade of my mandolin and blanched them for 3 minutes. I lifted out the blanch strainer pot, set in the sink and ran cold water over the potatoes to cool them off. I dehydrated them and tried some tonight. I put some in a glass bowl and covered with cold tap water. They were re-hydrated in about an hour. I drained them in a colander, chopped some onions and cooked them in an iron skillet with a little bacon grease. They were AWESOME!! :weee Normally, my "fresh" hash browns get all mashed and globbed together. The dehydrated hash browns kept their shape, had a good texture and browned nicely.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those hash browns sound perfect! I will be revisiting this thread, when I harvest potatoes....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a dehydrator that I got last year (Nesco) and soon I'll be putting it to work, but right now I have no recipes so I'll be revisiting here too. :)

The key to good fresh hash browns IMO, is to use baked, chilled, spuds. My purple Vikings made the best so far, but the Marris Piper were also real good. Right now I'm reduced to store bought Russets which are a poor substitute for home grown.

DH loves hash browns, in fact he is seriously addicted to them for breakfast. So, I bake several at a time and refrigerate them.

When you grate them the shreds stay separate and brown nicely as they cook.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you need to check out http://www.dehydrate2store.com/ You would not believe the things that can be dehydrated! This lady has complete instructions for each fruit/veggie and also recipes. Look under the Recipes heading and also the Videos. You won't believe how much info there is on just this one site.

ETA: Also go see this one... http://rainydayfoodstorage.blogspot.co.uk/p/meals-in-jar-recipes.html I found this site on Pinterest and it has some great recipes for complete meals in a jar, like chicken stir fry, sloppy joes, etc.

Latest posts