Delicata squash and honeydew melons

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, My three sisters garden is doing FANTASTIC!! I have lots of delicata, a good amount of honeydew and the butternut is coming along... My problem is I don't know when to harvest!!

My searches have led to so much conflicting information that I'd rather ask if anyone has experience here. With the delicata, I've read to leave it on the vine until first frost, harvest as soon as it changes from light green to cream, harvest when the stem starts to crack... I've also read, it does not store well, and that it stores great. I've also read that you have to cure it as you would any other winter squash, (never done that before either) and that curing it will make it unable to store. FRUSTRATING to say the least!! Anyone have any experience? I was hoping to store it, and to enjoy it at it's peak.

Anyone know when to harvest honeydew melons as well? What about butternut and acorn squash? This is my first time growing these so successfully, and I'm super excited! I will definatley continue to uses the three sisters garden plan each year as it did really well!

Thanks everyone in advance!!

~Sarah

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know about the others, but acorn squash tends to be one of the last things I bring in. I typically bring them in when it is going to freeze or snow. I have had them tolerate a light frost and be okay. I store them in my basement and have eaten them as late as Feb/March.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to bring the butternut in before a hard frost. A little won't hurt them... I was stressing about cantaloupe last year- low and behold it fell off the vine when it was ripe! Maybe honeydew does the same?

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish I knew! So are you supposed to leave all winter squashes on the vine as long as possible? I think I read somewhere that they cannot over rippen, but I'd hate to be wrong and waste the huge amount I have growing out there! Is delicata treated differently than most winter squashes?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chicka do you have a frost up there?

I finally looked up what a Three Sisters Garden was. :hide I had no idea planting that way had an actual name. I have squash and vines under my corn as well. Maybe I should throw out some pole beans. :D

g

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like to leave my winter squash or "storage" squash on the vine until it comes off easy like a ripe cantelope. I don't think you can leave them on the vine "too" long, unless you are seeing bug damage or have a frost or freeze on the way. It's okay to pick them as soon as they have the right color and have stopped getting bigger. This can extend the harvest.

Latest posts