Desert Flowers

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Any other desert dwellers out there who can share some successes they have had with bright,fragrant flowers?

My successes are...minimal.:/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After the nice things you said about me, DG, maybe I can bump this up where our Amarillo and Tuscon gardeners might see it. Southern Cal?

I garden where there is less than 20 inches of precip each year - most of that falls as snow during the winter. But, there are lots of evergreens around me so . . .

Anyway, here are some ideas: iris, catmint, creeping phlox, lambs ear, gaillardia, rosemary, lavender, and Russian sage and don't forget your peppers are very ornamental. Salvia, zinnia, sunflowers . . .

Gomphrena (globe amaranth) is an annual that I have now-and-then. It seems fine with lots of sun. Coreopsis, bachelor's buttons, nigella . . . some that I grow in sunny, dry spots.

Steve

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sigh.....

I think I love you.:love

Going to hit the seed catalogues tonight!!!!

Thanks.

:throw

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
High Country Gardens/Santa Fe Greenhouse! (Alright, so they don't grow, but they've got great ideas and really cool plants.) They were my absoulute heroes when I lived in SF. Matter of fact, I'm going to be in ABQ in March and am planning a special excursion to go spend money with them. :clap

edited because the language police are looking over my shoulder!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I live in the high desert of CA and we get very little rain. I grow roses, bearded iris, cannas, Mexican primroses, Texas Rangers, Russian Sage, desert willows, zinnias, marigolds, sunflowers, Mexican Bird of Paradise and impatients to name a few.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sounds like your weather is a lot like mine. What are your temperature ranges (low in winter to high in summer)?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in zone 8b and our winters can get night time lows in the teens and our summer highs in the 100-120 range. It's 8 am and it's 30 outside. I used to live in Albuquerque back in the 50's and it's about the same weather wise except we're only at 2500 feet here. We get a tremendous amount of wind though and it's nothing for us to get wind gusts above 75 mph.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
fortunately those high winds don't happen very often, maybe two or three times a season but we have 25-45mph most of the time with wind gusts above 50. As you know they can sure dry things up.

Latest posts