Destructive Beetles?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Row covers are the best way to deal with these leaf-eating bugs. You take them off when the flowers are ready for pollination. As I said in another post, Sevin is a terrible poison for all pollinators, nevermind for us.

jdypat

Sprout
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Row covers are the best way to deal with these leaf-eating bugs. You take them off when the flowers are ready for pollination. As I said in another post, Sevin is a terrible poison for all pollinators, nevermind for us.
how big is the area you use for plants?
when i lived in nashville and had my postage stamp yard, i could rely on dishwashig liquid in a spray bottle for just about everything. now on 20 acres here I would have to "give it to theM' without the help of the big guns. I always use care and try to use good sence and the suggestions the agricultural agent gives me. sevin is a safe product. In my youth grandpappy put it on the dogs for flea control and tick control. when im going black berry picking i sprinkle it on my shoes and that way i dont bring the ticks home with me.
the japanese bettles took all ALL the leaves from my yard 2 years ago, with my help. I had several traps out that brought them in here from memphis probably 100 miles away. wont do that again. My cannas were just stalks. He hibiscus just lacy leaves. the roses were history. I cant believe they came back the next year.
the ugly things woud get into the flower of th rose and eat it up. just suck it dry. I had fun with those big guns.. a lot of fun. Last year we had few of them. we had a late hard frost and i think that helped, but i had such fun riding my place of the bettles i think i got em before they dropped their eggs in the dirt for grubs to grow and invite more moles. they also bring skunks. and armadillos. they can sure destroy a lawn.
and my dog.. my wonderful STRAYDAWG... she smells one and starts digging and i have a 3 foot hole waiting for me to step in.... she cant resist a mole.
I dont know if this site is more organic than I am or not. I havent noticed, I agree use as little as necessary, but i also know the hard job and life my grandparetns had across the road from whree i live now.. the bugs took their cabbage.. squash.. potatoes and left little for their hard work.. If they had known of it or could have afforded it, Pap would have used it. the other Pap.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Large operations use row covers all the time. Why not try something nontoxic before hauling out the 'big guns'. I grow my vegetables so I can avoid the agricultural chemicals used out there - I do not trust or believe any 'agricultural agent' who says something like Sevin is safe; those 'safety' experiments and 'proof' offered is bought and paid for by the chemical companies, that's like trusting the fox to guard the chickens.

Latest posts