Did you know that seagulls dive for food?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a pet seagull that we feed regularly. He has had a mangled foot ever since we first met him, but that doesn't stop him from being a fierce fighter and an excellent hunter. Anyway, we saw him dive for food yesterday and he came up with a purple starfish in his mouth! He swallowed it whole and you could see it in his neck for quite sometime. Amazingly seagulls eat starfish regularly and they are just fine with swallowing the starfish whole with no medical issues!

This funny bird has many favorite foods. He loves noodles with marinara sauce, all chips and bread, fresh mussels, and anything with corn. He will tolerate most random leftovers, but he hates nuts, beans, noodles with no sauce, and potatoes.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a pet seagull that we feed regularly. He has had a mangled foot ever since we first met him, but that doesn't stop him from being a fierce fighter and an excellent hunter. Anyway, we saw him dive for food yesterday and he came up with a purple starfish in his mouth! He swallowed it whole and you could see it in his neck for quite sometime. Amazingly seagulls eat starfish regularly and they are just fine with swallowing the starfish whole with no medical issues!

While on the beach, we once saw a gull come up from a dive in the waves with a crab in its beak just a few feet ahead of where we were walking. The crab was desperately trying to fight back with its claws. My hubby said afterwards that he'd been on the point of trying to rescue the doomed creature. I said, "but then the gull would've gone hungry" and I guess DH accepted that conclusion, but his sympathies still rested with the unfortunate crustacean. It's eat or be eaten for many of life's creatures. Seagulls are opportunists.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know they’ll eat the cheap bagged cereal from the grocery! Just outside of the Seward harbor they dump the fish cleanings from the cleaning tables inside the harbor. The gulls fill the surface in roughly a 100ft. Circle eating the floties and diving for what ever.
One morning i bought a large bag (5gal. Bucket size) of the cereal and had it in the boat when we headed out with the grandkids. I told them we’d drive (slowly) right into the middle of them and shut the boat off so they could feed the bird’s. When i did the gulls began to swarm around us reminding me of a bee swarm; they were everywhere. Then when the kids started throwing the cereal over both sides; the gulls all landed on the water and lined up like a lawn mower swimming across the surface in lock step scooping up every single piece of the cereal.
The cool part was that in that time not one bird pooped on us. I expected much worse! Grandkids were impressed.

Latest posts