Diffenantly not acorn squash-What is it?

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought an acorn squash plant this year but, these are not acorn squash. Can somebody please tell me what they are?
squash.jpg

leavesofsquash.jpg

They did end up planted by the pumpkins this year. Is it possible they crossed bred? I would have thought if that had happened they would have been round with both pumpkins and acorn squash being round. :idunno

joebwe25

Leafing Out
Reaction score
oooooh? that's a tough one...
Maybe some kind of gourd???
Are they hard like a gourd? Or softer like a pun'kin?
Maybe let them dry out...
They have those warts like a gourd, but pumpkins and acorn squash don't have them.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The skin is hard enough that I can't make a mark in it with my thumb nail.

If they are gourds they are huge ones. The smaller one pictured must be about 1 foot.

There were others out there too so maybe I will see if I can cut one opened tomorrow and post pics.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They look just like overripe summer squash! I could be wrong on this, but I think a crossbred squash would only reveal itself when this year's seeds are planted next year. Then, the fruit would show the characteristics of each parent plant...

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I think a crossbred squash would only reveal itself when this year's seeds are planted next year. Then, the fruit would show the characteristics of each parent plant...
I agree. I don't know what they are but I would guess that the tags got mixed up where you bought them, and you are right they are not Acorn Squash.

candyd

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
They look just like overripe summer squash! I could be wrong on this, but I think a crossbred squash would only reveal itself when this year's seeds are planted next year. Then, the fruit would show the characteristics of each parent plant...
I also agree, it looks like a overgrown summer squash to me too.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, I went out and picked one that was more yellow than the orange and cut it open.
cutsquash.jpg

squashinards.jpg

Would this be the correct stage to pick it at, if you still say summer squash?

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It looks like a straight neck yellow summer squash. I like to pick mine when they are no more than 6" long and tender. The ones in the first photo look like they have been on the vine way too long. Slice the last one up and bread it with cornmeal or steam it.

You're right, they are not acorn squash.