Difference in Pumpkins Cooking vs Jack O lantern

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You shouldn't encourage me--I might have to go find my 10 next favorite recipes :) RE: the lasagna, it takes some time to make, but it freezes great, feeds a lot of people and is excellent! Plus, like I mentioned, it uses up so much fall produce! Enjoy :)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How did you freeze your pumpkin? Just wondering the best way to do it. Whether it has to be cooked and mashed first or if you sliced it up and stored it in chunks to be cooked later. I know stupid question, but I want to find the easiest way to do this.
Not dumb at all! I think that's a great idea to freeze chunks! I will have to try that this year--maybe like a gallon bag of diced pumpkin to toss into soups and lasagna? Thanks for the idea :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those were excellent, Me&!!! Thanks! My, you are the adventurous cook! If I tried all those on my family, first they would look at me to make sure there wasn't an invasion of the body snatchers(Queen of the One Dish Wonders)....then they would immediately say "What's in it?" and then the oldest one would try it and the other two would ask if they could have something else! Spoiled brats! :rolleyes:

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My poor, poor family (but don't tell them I said so!) has to try new stuff all the time. I think there's something wrong with me--I can't stop trying new recipes :) Plus, now that I'm doing CSA I have to try even more recipes out before putting them in the newsletter. Poor, poor kids...

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have not heard of all the varieties that have been mentioned above, but the variety I plant are called PIE PUMPKINS. The pumpkins are just slightly larger then a large cantalope. The flesh is VERY orange and has a very rich flavor. I have been growing them for about 5 or 6 years now. They are wonderful! I bake them until they are very soft when putting a fork in them. The smell in my house on processing day is heavenly. Then, let them cool and run them through my food processor. I freeze them in ziplock bags in 2 cup servings. I use them for both pumpkin pies and pumpkin muffins. The muffins are a family favorite. I save the seeds for roasting and also make sure I save enough for planting for the next season. I usually have enough put in my freezer for about 6 pies and 10 to 12 batches of muffins.

Latest posts