Different Mint Varieties

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If this keeps up I should be completely broke by next week!

I finally made it to one of the local greenhouses today and boy am I glad that I had only brought so much money. There were so many plants - huge tables of them - everywhere! I was of course hanging out at the vegetable/herb section. And to make a long story short I ended up leaving with quite a few plants, along with an empty wallet. Roma tomatoes, Bhut Jolokhia peppers, hot cherry peppers. I also ended up with plenty of herbs, many of them in the mint family - Blue Balsam, Lavender, and Mojito mints along with catnip and lemon balm. The main reason that I picked up the Mojitos is that I remember somebody on here talking about them, I guess they're rare? (What makes them different from regular peppermint? Flavor? Maybe more oil in the plant?) Anybody here try these varieties of mint before? How do you use them?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bought a Mojito this year also. That was because I remember Hot Pepper Queen talking about hers.

I have orange mint too which is my most very favorite! It has the most fragrant spiciness ever.

I also have the usual pepper, spear, apple and chocolate varieties.
I occasionally use them for tea, but mostly what I love to do is pull the excessive rampant growth out. It smells so delightful!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have quite a few mints and I'm not really a mint person :). I like spearmint with chamomile as a tea.

I also like dried catnip as tea. Here's a little advice, SeedO: try these both fresh and dried. The flavour changes.

The only way I use the fresh, I have to be careful not to actually eat it. Oh, no! If you like noodles but are getting a little bored with them - try a sprig of mint with them. Varieties add to interest. It only takes a minute or two to flavor the broth.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You probably should. I don't know how that mint was propagated. If it was taken from the roots of another mint, it will be a clone of the parent, but if it was grown from seed, well, mint cross-pollinates really easily. Let yours go to bloom and you will see it covered with pollinators. Some of those pollinators can come from a long way away where other types of mint are grown and the mint can make a whole lot of seeds. Besides, you might not like the flavor even if it is true to what it is supposed to be. Tasting it can’t hurt and might help keep you from doing something you regret. Once that stuff gets established it is really hard to get rid of.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far we only have spearmint (or is it peppermint!) and Chocolate, I think my next one will be orange! (Thanks for the recommendation @thistlebloom

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have spearmint and I pick a few sprigs to boil with dandelion petals for tea. I pick 30 dandelion flowers and 3 sprigs of spearmint. I boil for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat, leave the pot on the burner and let it cool. Strain into a 2 quart pitcher, add 1/2 cup of sugar and fill with water.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule Have you tried it unsweetened? I am not a sweet tea drinker. May have to try this as I have plenty of mint and dandelions!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
If this keeps up I should be completely broke by next week!

I finally made it to one of the local greenhouses today and boy am I glad that I had only brought so much money. There were so many plants - huge tables of them - everywhere! I was of course hanging out at the vegetable/herb section. And to make a long story short I ended up leaving with quite a few plants, along with an empty wallet. Roma tomatoes, Bhut Jolokhia peppers, hot cherry peppers. I also ended up with plenty of herbs, many of them in the mint family - Blue Balsam, Lavender, and Mojito mints along with catnip and lemon balm. The main reason that I picked up the Mojitos is that I remember somebody on here talking about them, I guess they're rare? (What makes them different from regular peppermint? Flavor? Maybe more oil in the plant?) Anybody here try these varieties of mint before? How do you use them?
SeedO, you are right to only take the cash you can afford to spend. We have ALL done that! The temptation is to get out the charge cards! Enjoy all those new plants. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee no I haven't tried it without sugar. You can use less sugar or no sugar. I like the mint flavor in it and it makes a deep orange tea. Refreshing ice tea on a hot day.

Latest posts