Dill, Cilantro, and Chard Questions

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry-- have so many questions!!!

I planted a bit of everything to see what grows here--- having just bought our house in March and having NOT gardened in 20+ years......

First--- I've got swiss chard growiing like crazy---- what can I do with it? Time has gotten away from me, and I have no idea how to eat the stuff! Anyone with any good ideas, before it grows too big and I have to feed it to the chickens and bunny?

Also, my dill and cilantro are growing crazy---- If I cut it back, will it continue to grow? Also, if I dry the cilantro-- can I use it like I would fresh? My tomatoes aren't growing yet, so I can't make salsa yet, but I need to keep it from going to seed.

Thanks so much!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
I've got swiss chard growiing like crazy---- what can I do with it? Time has gotten away from me, and I have no idea how to eat the stuff!
Pick the outermost leaves, preferably before they get too big and tough IMO, and, well, you know, eat them :p Quite small ones are fine in salads; larger, and you can cook them like you'd cook any other greens (spinach, collards, beet tops, etc). Which depends somewhat on personal preference. Me, I prefer to sautee briefly in baconfat or in oil with some garlic sizzling in it, then add a few tbsp of water and stir for five minutes or whatever til it seems done.

Mostly though I chop the chard leaves up and add them to nearly everything -- pasta sauces, lasagna, meatloaf, meatballs, fried rice, fried noodles, scrambled eggs, whatever. Sort of like you'd use small amounts of spinach. (edited to add: and in SOUP! :))

Also, my dill and cilantro are growing crazy---- If I cut it back, will it continue to grow? Also, if I dry the cilantro-- can I use it like I would fresh?
I've never had too much luck keeping cilantro from going to seed -- when it decides to bolt it will bolt (with attendant flavor changes) even if you keep picking off the flower spike. Also personally I do not think it dries well -- loses all its proper flavor. Blechh.

I would suggest freezing it. Some people freeze it whole; I have had better luck, flavor- and texture-wise, with sacrificing the whole plant or plants, pureeing them or chopping them very fine with a few drops of oil added, then freezing in a thin layer in a ziploc baggie with all the air sucked out. You can break off a piece of the thin frozen slab whenever you need, just make sure to suck the air back out of the bag again.

Or you can let it set seed and have coriander seed to bake with :)

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
" would suggest freezing it. Some people freeze it whole; I have had better luck, flavor- and texture-wise, with sacrificing the whole plant or plants, pureeing them or chopping them very fine with a few drops of oil added, then freezing in a thin layer in a ziploc baggie with all the air sucked out. You can break off a piece of the thin frozen slab whenever you need, just make sure to suck the air back out of the bag again.

Or you can let it set seed and have coriander seed to bake with "

Thanks Pat. These are great suggestions. I hope that my cilantro takes off so I can have extra to freeze. I just love the taste of cilantro.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the great suggestions. I , of course, do welcome more!!!

I do realize I have a LOT to learn...... coriander/ cilantro? One in the same? ....I gotta keep reading!

marcym

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I snip leaves off my basil and cilantro about every other day, putting them in short plastic cups. I rinse them and snip them while still in the same cup. Then I use a tsp or Tbsp and measure the chopped herb into ice cube trays. Fill the cube about 3/4 of the way with water and freeze. Once frozen, I put the cubes in freezer bags to pop into soups, stews, and salsas as needed. I also keep several cubes in a cottage cheese container inside the freezer door for easy access, while the big baggies stay in the big freezer. Working well for me so far.....

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
Thanks for the great suggestions. I , of course, do welcome more!!!

I do realize I have a LOT to learn...... coriander/ cilantro? One in the same? ....I gotta keep reading!
Yes, they are the same plant. We generally call the fresh plant, cilantro, and the seeds, coriander.

Aside from baking, it's also an ingredient in many chili powders. I put some in mine. :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
=Tutter
Yes, they are the same plant. We generally call the fresh plant, cilantro, and the seeds, coriander.
:)
I never knew that till now. I knew that coriander was used for various recipes, pumpkin pies, and in currie's, but not that it was the cilantro seed. Hmm.. never to old to learn.:)

Cilantro is good in the Vietnamese type soups. If you have never tried it, you don't know what your missing!

Pho Bo Soup

3/4 pound boneless beef top sirloin or top round steak
3 cups water
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed consomm, undiluted
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches long)
4 ounces rice noodles (rice sticks), about 1/8 inch wide
1/2cup thinly sliced or julienned carrots
2cups fresh bean sprouts
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2cup chopped fresh basil
2 jalapeo peppers,* minced or 1 to 3 teaspoons Chinese chili sauce or paste

* remove seeds fist

Preparation: 1.Place beef in freezer 45 minutes or until firm. Meanwhile, combine water, beef broth, consomm, soy sauce, ginger and cinnamon stick in large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick; discard. Meanwhile, place rice noodles in large bowl and cover with warm water; let stand until softened, about 20 minutes.
2.Slice beef lengthwise in half, then crosswise into very thin strips. Drain noodles. Place noodles and carrots in simmering broth; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until noodles are tender. Add beef and bean sprouts; cook 1 minute or until beef is no longer pink.
3.Remove from heat; stir in red onion, cilantro, basil and jalapeo peppers. To serve, lift noodles from soup with fork and place in bowls. Ladle remaining ingredients and broth over noodles. Yummy!:)

As far as swiss chard goes, if you have an abundance, you can always can it. I have really enjoyed canned chard come the middle of winter. I also use it in speghetti sauce, to add color and nourishment. I also use it fresh in stir-frys, stews, and soups.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you for that recipe, bills! I love Vietnamese soups! (well, any Asian soups for that matter--- that region of the world knows their soup!) Mmmmmmmmm.....

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Swiss Chard PieI LOVE this pie/quiche! Just add a nice fruit salad and youve got an entire meal that includes whole grains, fruit, vegetables, protein and dairy!

1 onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 bunch Swiss chard
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 piecrust (see below for no-roll crust recipe)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brown onion and garlic in oil. Trim and chop chard (can include greens and stems), add to pan and cook down until wilted. Beat eggs and milk in bowl. Mix in salt and chard mixture. Pour into piecrust. Sprinkle cheese on top, pushing slightly into chard mixture. Bake until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-40 min.

Whole-wheat, no-roll piecrust
1 cups flour (whole-wheat pastry flour best, whole-wheat flour okay)
1 tsp sugar
tsp salt
cup oil (I prefer mixture of canola and olive for health benefits)
3 tbsp milk

Place all ingredients in pie pan. Mix with fork until well blended and pat into the pan. Push pastry up the sides and form a nice edge with thumb and finger. Prick to avoid bubbling during baking.

Italian Tuscan Vegetable Soupsimple, hearty soup/stew that would be complemented by jalapeno pepper grilled cheese and cranberry sauce.

SOUP
2 T olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 medium leeks, halved, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
2 parsnips, chopped
2 small turnips, chopped
1 bunch Swiss chard, kale or spinach
6 large garlic cloves, minced
6 red new potatoes, unpeeled, diced (3/4)
2 (32-oz) containers lower-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 T dried basil
1 t salt
t pepper
1 (15- or 19-oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed

GARLIC TOASTS
1 t olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
8 slices French bread
cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1. Heat 2 T oil in large pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips and turnips; stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook 5-8 min or until vegetables have begun to sweat and are glistening.
2. Meanwhile, diagonally slice chart stems to equal
1 cup. Coarsely chop chard leaves to equal 3 cups.
3. Remove cover from pot. Add 6 garlic cloves, cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in potatoes. Add broth, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15-20 min or until vegetables are almost tender.
4. Stir in beans and chard stems; cook 4 min. Add chard leaves; cook 3-4 min or until tender.
5. Before serving, heat broiler. Combine 1 t oil and 1 garlic clove; brush over both sides of bread. Place on baking sheet. Broil 1-2 min or until light golden brown, turning once. Top each serving with 1 garlic toast; sprinkle with 1 T of the cheese.

Creamy Swiss Chard with Pastagreat, easy recipe!
1 bunch chopped Swiss Chard, including stems
2 cloves chopped garlic (or more if you desire)
1 chopped or sliced onion
2 T olive oil
2 chopped tomatoes (may substitute can of diced, puree or sauce)
1/2 c. sour cream, reduced fat/fat free/full fat
1/2 c. milk
1/4 parmesan cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
crushed red pepper, if you desire
8 ounces pasta, any variety

Boil water for pasta.

Heat oil over medium. Add chard, onions, and garlic and saut until chard begins to wilt and onions begin to soften. Add all remaining ingredients (except pasta) and turn heat to low and simmer until pasta is ready.

Cook pasta. When cooked to al dente, add to sauce using slotted spoon. The pasta water that adheres to pasta will help bind the sauce and pasta together. Chopped kalamata olives and/or some extra shredded Parmesan can add a nice salty bite if you desire.

Butternut Squash and Bean Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium (about 6 ounces) carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium (about 8 ounces) yellow onion, diced
kosher salt
3 large cloves
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2" cubes
28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
15-ounce can cannellini beans
8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 small head (about 8 cups) Savoy cabbage, core removed and leaves thinly shredded
1 bunch (about 6 cups) Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
2" piece Parmigiano-Reggiano rind plus grated cheese for serving
freshly ground black pepper

Set an electric pressure cooker to brown according to the manufacturers instructions. Warm the olive oil in the pressure cooker, add the carrots, celery and onions and salt the vegetables lightly. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened and the onion is translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the butternut squash, tomatoes, cannellini beans, broth, cabbage, chard, bay leaf and Parmigiano rind. Stir to combine the ingredients. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and cook on high for 10 minutes according to the manufacturer's instructions, or until the vegetables are tender. Release the pressure according to the manufacturer's instructions and carefully remove the lid. Using a stick blender, pure the soup to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

Serves 8.

elnabelms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the great recipes, I can't wait to try them! My garden went in late, so I'm still waiting for swiss chard, but these recipes sound wonderful. :D

Latest posts