Dilly Beans

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We canned quite a few jars of green beans and still have plenty left, so I thought I would try something a little different. We are into fermented veggies for the health benefits, so I looked for a recipe for fermented green beans and sure enough found one. These are called Dilly Beans and are made with water, salt, garlic, dill, red pepper and of course green beans. Prep time was about fifteen minutes and they should be ready in two or three days. They are supposed to be a tangy, tasty snack. Anyone else ever try these?
jackb

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't tried them, but they do sound good. Where did you find that cool lid gadget you have for the fermentation? Is that for wine?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the CO2 lock on eBay for a buck with additional units at a quarter each. It is for wine and beer making, the plastic lid is available locally with canning supplies. I drilled the lid, added a rubber grommet and inserted the lock. Five minute job and it works great. My wife said she has seen the locks locally. If there is a home brewing store nearby I am sure they have them. They stop any white scum from forming on your fermented veggies. Here is a link to the where I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231196751528?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

jackb

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have water bath canned dilly beans for years. They really are tasty. I was just thinking of making some- but the dill that has self seeded for years, did not make an appearance. Was thinking of making them with just garlic and no dill. I think they would still be tasty. I think you will enjoy yours, Jackb!

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now this I've got to try. I've never heard of Dilly beans but they are intriguing. We put up about ten quarts of green beans and froze about 20 lbs of them. Next year we'll try these.

Latest posts