Discount Organic Fruit Trees

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found a nursery that will sell direct to the public, but it is way in the middle of the hills and quite a drive - WORTH IT!!!

We left with (2) types of cherries, blood orange, fig, nectarine, apple, artichoke, rhubarb, veggies, herbs, etc.

I will need to plant the cherries in the front because I don't want my birds to access any dropped leaves or fruit - but would I have to do the same thing for the apple? I've also had a peach tree around my animals without ill effect, but do they have the same amounts of cyanide in the leaves as stone fruit?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't realize that birds can't eat the leaves of a cherry tree!! Learn something new every day!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
actually, it is wilted maple and cherry leaves that horses should not eat. there is a toxin in them that horses (probably deer and rabbits too since they are also in the same family and same stomach type) cannot digest. i've never heard about the issue affecting birds in any way. if that was the case i'd be seeing a ton of robins dead in my neighbors' yard early spring from their cherry trees. :/ i'd probably have lots of dead birds on my car instead of the red droppings.

fruit trees don't seem to bother the chickens much. if the peaches have the hard 'stone' in them i wouldn't worry about them eating the fruit and getting sick. that is the part that has cyanide in them. the leaves do not have this. same with apples, it is only found in the seeds. since the seeds are smaller i do not want them near my birds just in case they could get to eat the dropped fruits and eventually get to the seed. so i usually will hand feed them apples or prep them in the house and cut out the core.

fact of the day: hedgehogs are known to put themselves into a frothing, drunken state just by eating fermenting or decaying apples :p weird fact that would only win a prize on a radio if ever asked!