Dishes

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That said, when my daughters are burning through dishes when they have friends over, I definitely make them put the dishes in the washer.

You could maybe halt the use of so many dishes by making them do all the dishes by hand. When my teen sons were burning through the homemade bread, I made it a rule that whoever ate the most bread that week had to make the next batch of bread. They all got quite proficient at making bread....and my bread was used at a more judicious rate.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I do is dishes. It seems I live in the kitchen. We used to have 4 people live here and now just me and DS. I have no idea how my mother washed dishes for 4 people and kept the sink empty. My mother was BLIND. I know we ate. We were not starving and all of a sudden I remembered our trash cans. We had 2 metal cans, one smaller than the other and 4 people and I do not remember ever having the lid half off or not enough room for the trash. Today, I had to put trash in the garage and wait until the trash man came before I could put today's trash in the can, which is a big huge plastic thing on wheels and only 2 people and we filled it up. I have been doing some extra cleaning out drawers and finally got to DH's desk and took out all the old tax papers and bills. DH quit paying bills in 2014 or so and I took it over and all the important papers are in my desk. I found old bills and things from 2005. Anyway, back to the dishes. :th
My daughter, her husband and infant twins have been living with us since June. In order to keep the germ transmission down we were using a lot of drinking glasses for water. I bought glasses with our names on them so we can reuse the same water glass over and over. I got them fromm personalization mall. But you can likely get them anywhere.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm new here (but done my intro post already) so don't know many of you. But thought I'd jump in here if y'all don't mind.
I was a (classic) spoiled man. As I was a single parent, I hired a full time nanny for the kids. She also was a housekeeper. So for years the only dirty dish I ever saw was the one I just finished with. (I also had a "magic laundry hamper". Throw dirty clothes in, and they magically reappeared in my closet, clean and folded. If I wanted to cook something, I had to ask directions as to how the stove worked.) Alas, the kids went away, and I moved to the country. Sans the nanny.
I found out I really don't mind doing the dishes. Have a dishwasher that hasn't been turned on in the year I've been here. Of course, how many dishes can one person create? Oh, sometimes I will get a little lazy, and find out the one dish I NEED didn't get washed from yesterday. So I find myself washing a single dish to use now. But that reminds me to get my butt in gear and wash them ALL as soon as I'm finished. One of the luxuries of being alone. Nobody to get snotty if I get lazy. Only my own conscience.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought glasses with our names on them so we can reuse the same water glass over and over. I got them fromm personalization mall. But you can likely get them anywhere.

Red Solo cups work well for this also. We do that when my sisters family visits. Just write our names on them with a marker.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hand wash & use a dishwasher. Pots, pans & anything to big for the dw are washed after using, since they will be needed at the next meal. Everything else, gets rinsed and put in the dishwasher. When I get a full load, they get washed in the evening, air dried over night & put up the next morning.

I love my dishwasher. I'm usually so tired by the time I finish cooking, I don't know if I would have the energy to hand wash everything. If I had to, we would be using paper plates I'm sure.

Latest posts