Do any of you make cheese?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I realize that this is really not a "gardening" question. However, I am sure I could tie it in somehow if I tried real hard. :D I am thinking about giving it a go and just looking for some helpful hints, suggestions or recipes that a newbie like myself could use. I really want to back away from the grocery store as much as I can. Nothing against grocery stores. I made a very good salary working for one for 12 years. Just where I am in this point of my life. :D Thanks in advance!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should find out about Rebbetzin's technique. But . . .

If you want to do something really easy first: play around with Junket desserts (click) . The next step would be cheese making using the rennet tablets.

I grew up with a Mom who would make those desserts. We had lots and lots of milk from owning just a few milk cows!

When I went off on my own, I decided that I needed to come up with a way for the chickens, cats, & dogs to help me out using up all the milk and, I didn't want to work too hard :p. So, I followed the simplest of cheese recipes for their cheese. Never took the 3rd step of making cheese for myself . . .

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check out the SufficientSelf! All kinds of clever people over there making cheese and all kinds of cool stuff!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks all! I haven't checked out sufficiantself yet, but am on backyardherds already so I'll have to do some digging there. Rebbetzin makes all kinds of wonderful creations! The Junket dessert site made me hungry!

I'll let you all know what I come up with.

I was up until 11:30 last night making challah bread. Smelled wonderful and looks good, but getting up at 5am was rough. Tonight maybe wheat bread of some sort. I figured I would start off easy and go from there. :D

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
Thanks all! I haven't checked out sufficiantself yet, but am on backyardherds already so I'll have to do some digging there. Rebbetzin makes all kinds of wonderful creations! The Junket dessert site made me hungry!

I was up until 11:30 last night making challah bread. Smelled wonderful and looks good, but getting up at 5am was rough. Tonight maybe wheat bread of some sort. I figured I would start off easy and go from there. :D
What type of milk are you going to use?
We make a several types of Goat cheese and it not hard at all in fact the basic recipe only has 2 ingredients Raw Milk and Vinegar.

Vinegar Cheese
Milk that is several days old often works best with this recipe
1 Gallon raw Goats Milk
1/2 cup Vinegar, Lemon Juice or Lime Juice

1. Heat the Milk to 185F, or close to boiling.

2. Add Vinegar very slowly, wile stirring. The Milk will start to coagulate as soon as you add the Vinegar, separating into curds and whey.

3. When curds appear, skim them off into a cheesecloth-lined colander. Or pour the curds and whey into the colander. (This is easier, but skimming results in a better flavor and texture.)

4. Tie the corners of the cheesecloth together, and hang the cheese where it can drain for several hours, or until it stops dripping.

5. Slice into cubs, and eat as is although it's rather flavorless.

If you want you can mix in Green Chilies, Jalapenos, Pitted Olives or Snack/Dip Seasoning right before you tie the corners of the cheesecloth together and hang it.

Chris

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
chris09 said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:

We make a several types of Goat cheese and it not hard at all in fact the basic recipe only has 2 ingredients Raw Milk and Vinegar.

Vinegar Cheese
1 Gallon raw Goats Milk

2. Add Vinegar very slowly, wile stirring. The Milk will start to coagulate as soon as you add the Vinegar, separating into curds and whey.

3. When curds appear, skim them off into a cheesecloth-lined colander. Or pour the curds and whey into the colander. (This is easier, but skimming results in a better flavor and texture.)

4. Tie the corners of the cheesecloth together, and hang the cheese where it can drain for several hours, or until it stops dripping.

If you want you can mix in Green Chilies, Jalapenos, Pitted Olives or Snack/Dip Seasoning right before you tie the corners of the cheesecloth together and hang it.

Chris
I use the freshest Goat milk, because I can't stand the "goatie" flavor of milk that is a few days old. In fact after about a week the goat cheese goes a bit goatie tasting and I don't like it. I haven't tried making cheese with cows milk from the store. That might be an idea! Since the goats are leaving tomorrow to be "freshened" and I won't have any fresh goat milk for a couple of weeks.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
chris09 said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:

Vinegar Cheese
1 Gallon raw Goats Milk

Chris
I use the freshest Goat milk, because I can't stand the "goatie" flavor of milk that is a few days old. In fact after about a week the goat cheese goes a bit goatie tasting and I don't like it. I haven't tried making cheese with cows milk from the store. That might be an idea! Since the goats are leaving tomorrow to be "freshened" and I won't have any fresh goat milk for a couple of weeks.
I never had my raw goat milk go goaty till about 7 to 8 days old if that.
You say goat are leaving to be freshened, you don't "kid" at your place?

Chris

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was considering cows milk only because we have beef cows and a dairy cow "may" be in the future for us. I certainly have no objection to trying a goats milk cheese.

chris, it doesn't seem as though you could get any more simple than that! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

rebbetzin, a new kid or two sounds like so much fun!

I'll let yall know how I make out. I have too many ideas floating around in my head and not enough time to go along with them! ;)