Do Compost Activators Really Work?

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was looking at a compost activator by Nature Guard company last week.. about $10.

I did't buy it because I really am a cheapskate but also needed confirmation that it works. I do like their soil activator though.

I have a real hard time with compost as it is so dry here, and mostly cold, and I forget to water the pile and forget to turn it. Last pile took almost 2 years and it was pretty lumpy but still worked well on the plants I placed it.

So what should I do? aside from working hard?:D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where is 'here' that is so cold?
I'm not sure what an activator is - probably just some 'good bugs' to get it going?? Last year I had a compost pile that got started late and wasn't getting very far. It was December or January and I was worried that it hadn't changed a bit.
Marshall suggested that I get some manure and build a little pile. Then move my big pile ontop. It worked GREAT! The rotting manure provided enough heat to jump start my stalled pile. I added sort of my own 'starter' of old milk and store bought mushrooms blended and 'steeped' in warm water for a nice warm tea.
By spring I had lovely 'almost-dirt' to plant in.

eta to correct spelling -NEED a spell check button

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why spend the money when the same bacteria is all around you free of charge courtesy of Mother Nature. The rate that they work depends on one's expending their own time and energy. By the way, after one spends the money one will get similar results if one doesn't do their part. :idunno

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its that cold in the mountains of Idaho. The compost pile was frozen like solid like a rock for at least 6 months into April in the middle of it.
I put chicken manue and goat maneur in it to try to heat and activate it but it doesn't seem to do much

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bobm said:
Why spend the money when the same bacteria is all around you free of charge courtesy of Mother Nature. The rate that they work depends on one's expending their own time and energy. By the way, after one spends the money one will get similar results if one doesn't do their part. :idunno
Gotta agree with Bob 100%. If you keep the pile balanced (as in the correct C:N ratio), watered and aerated, it will stay warm/hot down into single digits.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I don't use an activator. But for $10, I would give it a try to see if it works for you.

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried using some and couldn't see any difference. It doesn't contain any organisms you can't get from throwing a shovelfull of good garden soil on your pile.

Latest posts