Do you buy plants or start from seed? Where do you buy?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I usually buy most of my plants but last year I started some from seed. i think I'll try to do a little more from seed this year.
What great web sites and catalogs do you order from?

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do a lot of seed starting because I really enjoy the process (it's just what I need after a long winter!) and I can grow things such as Broccoli de Raab that I'd never find as started plants. The big guys like Johnny's and Seeds of Change have kept me pretty happy.

I think a lots of people like to stay regional when it comes to seed companies, folks like me in the Northeast like Johnny's (Maine) and folks out west like Territorial Seed Company (Oregon).

I also like a tiny boutique producer in the midwest called Botanikka Seeds (Wisconsin).

Phyllis

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These days I grow it all from seed. I really like Seeds of Change, Seed Saver's Exchange and this year got some stuff from Rare Seeds in Iowa and hope to get a catalog soon from Sand Hill Preservation in Iowa (great website).

brewmiss96

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I try to start my seeds from Territorial Seed Company because they are in Oregon and I'm in Northern California. If I don't get them started I buy starts at the Arcata Farmer's Market. I prefer the starts from this one producer from Fieldbrook, Freya's Garden, because she specializes in heirloom varieties, and she's super nice!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year I did a couple from seed and that's it. Just my cosmos and impatients. I did collect and buy a lot of seeds for next year. Some I got from WinterSown.org they were free, I traded locally and I just did my first online purchase at ParkSeed.com. I've never tried them before, I just found them through Upromise.com because they had $1 seed packets and 10% for the cyber monday thing. They also donate to Upromise.com for my daughter's college savings. Parkseed is in South Carolina so I thought they would have some of the best for our crappy southern soil. So, we'll get those 20 packets of seeds and see how they do.

They offered lots of heirlooms and that's really what I wanted for the very garden for sure!

Anyone use them? Happy or not?

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I began starting my own plants 3 years ago. I started off with just a few things, and each year added more. I only bought one plant this year, and it was a hill of cukes. I wanted to have some early cukes, and I got started a little late on starting my seeds. I bought all my seeds from Jung. I had previously bought them from Burpee and my local greenhouse or Hardware store. Jung's prices where very reasonable, and I had goodluck with all my plants. Jung has a very wide variety. I would recommend them.

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am from the south and I use Poolville or Park's seed, as these seeds grow better for my hot summers.
With starting my own seeds,I can grow a larger variety of vegetables that cant be found in the local store's that sell Bonnie plant's.

rosajrms

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi from up here in Tacoma Washington state. zone 8 maritime

We need cold and very short growing season seeds here.

Last year's growing season was extremely short. Bought a zuchinni plant that had 3 plants in it. We got 2 zuchinnis. Also bought a pepper plant that rotted in the rain, and, a tomato plant that also rotted in the rain.

Will try again next year. Hopefully we will actually have a Spring.

Has anyone used Ed Humes seeds? Is he just in the Pacific Northwest? Anyone know of any others to try?

Thanks!

rosajrms

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks much!

I found them on the internet. I'll go check them out.

Latest posts