Do You Have A Fire Extinguisher In Kitchen?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
disclaimer..........
let me say this once they are UN-serviceable they are not good to use at either work or a rental ...
and use of them is on the users....

as i said nobody likes a dead hero.... i trust mine

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
An important reminder is to make sure you can easily get to the extinguisher. Having to clear out a path to get to it wastes valuable time.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one in the pantry in the utility room near the kitchen so I can get to it if the fire is in the kitchen.

In addition to everything Major said, it wouldn't hurt to take them by your local fire station and ask them to check them out. They are usually glad to do that for you. You might ask if they have any classes where they teach people how to use a fire extinguisher or extinguish common home fires. That way you know how to handle a grease fire versus an electrical fire.

It sounds like Major has had some training in fighting fires. I once went through a course on fighting a fire on an offshore oil and gas platform. One of the instructors really liked the phrase "that can make you dead". For some reason I've remembered that phrase. Another course I was required to take was how to abandon an offshore platform and probably live, even if it is on fire. Fire fighting was a required course for only a few people. The abandon platform course was required for everyone.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
clear out a path
Right you are, @so lucky !

DW has a love affair with cleaning products, each for their specialized use.

The extinguishers may be only 2 and side by side but they are carefully kept front and center in that kitchen cabinet. And, it's only 8' (just measured) from the stove. The toaster oven is also at that distance. I bet those things cause a high percentage of house fires.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 3, one in basement, one in garage, one under kitchen sink. They've sat there for years and i haven't had them checked out. Guess I need to do that! Gonna use Major's advice and go see what kind I have...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
heres some more information for abc type once you press the handle and hold it down.....
2.5 # will last appx 10 seconds
5# will last appx 14 seconds
10# will last appx 20 seconds

the average life span of a abc is 10 years, yes thats why you should or required to inspect them on a regular basis.
you need to have your fire extinguisher serviced every 6 years.

the cost will very on where you purchase them.. heres some examples
lowes .. first alert band
5# 40.00
10# 70.00

grainger. they are high in price for a person just walking in the door. best to know somebody that has an account and on the savings plan.
but they have names that "i would trust" and have been highly recommended by my fire extinguisher person such as.
amerex or buckeye

5# 77.00.... on plan 41.00
10# 125.00 on plan 63.00

as for co2 fire extinguishers.. they cost their weight in gold and only good for electrical fires such as computer rooms, control cabinets, motors.
NOT recommended for home use.....

yes @Ridgerunner has a good point take your fire extinguisher to your local fire department to have them looked over, if there's any damage to them you need to take them into a business that services them.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
here is a great easy going common sense video..... this 18 minute video could save your life...
if you can not see this video let me know and will burn a copy and send it to you.....

heres something to know.....
if you have an old abc fire extinguisher and you are going to replace it.. spray it on your garden in the fall to practice.. really

the dry chemical inside is..... Monoammonium Phosphate

http://www.cropnutrition.com/monoammonium-phosphate

Last edited:

Latest posts