Do You have To Deal With Rush Hour traffic ?

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We live in a town of around 3000 people and they are mostly out of town. Our house we just moved into is one block away from main street and the courthouse is about 50 yards away. In fact yesterday I needed to be in court and it took not even 5 minutes to walk there. So we don't really have rush hour anytime. Rush hour for us is when Tyson shift change and you have to wait for half a dozen cars before the light changes. By the way there are 4 traffic lights in town. I still hear roosters crowing but I don't have mine anymore. I trade my hens for 6 cleaned roaster rabbits. When we go to the big city I sometimes run into traffic but I know how to get around it pretty well being familiar with it. I always add a half hour driving to any appointments traveling time just in case but usually get there in plenty of time to spare. Traffic used to stress me out when we lived in the city. Seems like some places are have their streets planned out better than others.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
About the only rush hour traffic I deal with these days is when I open the coop in the morning, the chickens are in a hurry to get outside. Of course there is a rush hour when people are going to work or coming home, but I can pretty much time my trips to avoid those.

But yes, when I worked in the New Orleans area it was a pain. I left for work early to beat the rush hour traffic. It made a difference in a 25 minute drive or as much as an hour long trip one way. And that was if there wasn't an accident. That area has very few major roads, an accident on one tends to tie up traffic all over.

Our work hours were pretty flexible any way. For at least a part of that time if you came in early you could leave early. There were limits, I mean you could not come in at 4:00 AM and leave at 1:00, so I volunteered some extra time to the company by coming in early but I was able to leave early enough to avoid the worst of the rush our traffic going home. It didn't hurt me with the boss if I donated some extra time plus I was early enough that I could get a lot of work done before other people started showing up and bothering me. Part of my job was talking to these people but some people just love to chat and waste time. My official hours were 7:30 until 4:30 but I was there by 7:00.

Bottom line, it helped me with my job performance reviews, I was home just as much as I would have been if I had left later, and I didn't get stressed out by waiting in traffic. Plus I was home pretty early to spend time with the family or get something done.

Owning your own business and where you are you probably don't have the flexible hours option. Would mass transit be an option?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mornings like you I come in early enough to beat traffic. It is the after work that kills me, several times a week I need to pick up supplies. I will not go into downtown White Plains till after 730 pm

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably not a real rush hour, but in town where my jobs are located and where I do my shopping it is getting more congested every year. In the summer the traffic is solid from stoplight to stoplight. Usually you can't make it through a green before it changes. And that's an all day deal most of the time. :(
I try to avoid town entirely on the weekends.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Long Grove, population 380 ;) NO rush hour traffic. I work 3 miles from home and I travel the main road there and back early , no traffic. After school still pretty light. If I have to pick up someone at the airport with bridge construction ongoing, THAT is a pain. So happy I do not have to do that often , like an every day commute.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would mass transit be an option?[/QUOTE]It may be fine and dandy untill the bus is stuck in traffic, which is a daily occurance !!! By choice , she works 10 hour days so she can have eather Fridays or Monday off ( if a holiday falls on a Monday , she can have 4 days off that week ) My wife drives to a park and ride, then takes the transit bus to downtown Portland to 6 blocks from her office , then walks that. She leaves home by 5:30 am to miss the morning rush hour, which is getting earlier and earlier. Several times a week she takes up to 2 hours longer to get home.

Latest posts