Do You Like Kitchen Gadgets?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have I got the place for you. It's called "Der Kchen Laden" (German for the kitchen shop) in Fredericksburg, Texas and they have everything for the kitchen. A collection of cookbooks to rival the Library of Congress, potholders, coffee pots and espresso machines, a huge selection of kitchen knives, and glassware for every occasion, and than there's the odds and ends. Things I've never seen or even heard of. We've all fought with the big lump of ground beef in the skillet when trying to brown it. Bet you didn't know that there's a tool to help break it up. How 'bout a tiny brush to clean the inside of the stem of your percolator? A drip catcher for your tea pot, or a pinwheel cookie cutter.

For those who can they have all sorts of stuff, too. Everything from a 9" bubble popper and measurer, to replacement jar clamps and rings. You can learn a lot about the culinary arts just walking through this place.

While you could shop on line at their website:

http://www.littlechef.com/store/

I really recommend visiting in person. Even if you aren't a cook it's an experience. The building was once a hospital. It's a family-run business, and while there is always someone around to help they are quite happy to just let you browse at your own pace.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that Old Guy! There are some similar places around the San Francisco Bay Area called Sur La Table that have a lot of cuisine art kitchen things. The one in Palo Alto is run by a neighbor kid from down the street who is now doing real well, and is not the little kid down the street anymore of course! Little kids down the street are nowadays over 50!!!

:gig

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oldguy, I went to Fredericksburg about 7 years ago to see all the cute shops. I didn't see or hear about this one. Must be fairly new.

Marshall, been to Sur La Table, didn't buy anything, it's super expensive!

Mary

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Oldguy, I went to Fredericksburg about 7 years ago to see all the cute shops. I didn't see or hear about this one. Must be fairly new.

Marshall, been to Sur La Table, didn't buy anything, it's super expensive!

Mary
It's been around since 1979. Used to be a lot smaller though.

http://www.littlechef.com/store/content/17/About/

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a little shop in Madison, Wisconsin that is my favorite "must go" place whenever I'm in the city. It's called ORANGE TREE IMPORTS and it has spread through the years from one building to three storefronts with main, second floor, and basement packed with wondrous culinary implements. According to DH and BFF, I have at least one of everything. I know they're wrong so I keep stopping in for a look and seldom go home empty-handed.

Love, Smart Red

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooooooooohhhhhhhh..............I am such a sucker for kitchen gadgets!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Oldguy!!!!

Latest posts