Do You Prune A Grapevine?

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We moved into our house in the middle of summer last year while everything was blooming. It was a treat when I discovered that we had a grapevine. Not sure of the kind, but when we ate the grapes at the very end of summer, they tasted just like "Welches Grape Juice" - deep purple (not a plug for Welches, just what it tasted like). Needless to say, with the business of having a new house, I didn't do anything to it in the fall. Now, it has lots of "new growth", but the growth from last year looks dead. I have never had a grapevine and don't know if there is pruning that should have been done or not. :idunno

So, my questions are:

Do you prune a grapevine?
If so, when?
Is there anything else I should be doing?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can prune in the fall or winter and the fruit only grows on new vines...sort of like berries will only grow on new canes. Everyone I know pretty well prunes their grapes pretty drastically in the late fall and early winter. I had a similar situation to yours and this old grapevine hadn't been pruned in years. Well, I cut it back drastically and felt that I had overdone it for awhile. Right now it is sprouting new vines like crazy and it should be a good size before long.

Anyone else have a more definite answer out there? I would like to know more also!

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That makes sense. I have plenty of plants that if prune the heck out of and they seem to produce more abundantly.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh haven't you opened a can of worms!

Really though, grapes are one of those things that can be fun and rewarding and one of the biggest headaches ever. Growing up we grew grapes (amongst other things) for production so I got to learn a lot about these wonderful vines.

So, since the Concord grape is one of the most common grapes around and from your description of it's flavor I'm going to assume that this is the grape. That being said, here's a quick run down about them.

Assuming that, Concord grapes have a very low and hanging growing habit. The vines should be trained high to compensate for their low hanging habit. Traditionally, grapes are pruned in the spring and normally 75-85% of the vines are pruned. Yes, I know that sounds drastic but that's the best way to ensure a good crop. The fruit is produce from the last seasons woody growth. If you prune too much then you'll have a small harvest and if you don't prune enough then the quality of the grape is compromised. When pruning new shoots remove any thin or weak look shoots and only leave the strongest ones. Remove any dead or damages wood.

In some situations, a winter pruning could be done but this is not recommend because it can damage the plant if a hard frost hits.

Sun reaching the grapes is crucial for good fruit. That being said you should train the vines horizontally and space them about 12-16 inches apart. This allows for good air circulation and sun to reach all of the plant. As the plant grows you should continue to prune back new shoots, once again only leaving the strongest and best shoots. Keeping your plant well trimmed is very important when trying to get a good crop. When grapes start to appear remove leaves from around the fruits to allow for better sun exposure.

There are probably tons of good books out there about growing grapes. You should really confirm the variety of grape since each one is very unique and that would help you really determine the best pruning methods.

Happy gardening!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Oakland City!!! I KNEW their had to be someone out there that knew a heck of a lot more than I on that subject! We ol' hillbillies don't have a lot of experience with grape growin'! :p

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you both for the wonderful information.

Can you please clarify something for me Oakland Farmer? I am in Colorado, do you think I should just leave the vine alone this year and prune next spring? Or, would it be beneficial to prune it this year even though it is already June?

Thank you again for your information! I will try to post a picture soon.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DouglasPeeps said:
Wow! Thank you both for the wonderful information.

Can you please clarify something for me Oakland Farmer? I am in Colorado, do you think I should just leave the vine alone this year and prune next spring? Or, would it be beneficial to prune it this year even though it is already June?

Thank you again for your information! I will try to post a picture soon.
I would recommend pruning through the season to help train the vine. I wouldn't do any drastic pruning though.

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a dozen Muscadine grapes and 2 Concords and I prune them after Thanksgiving. I pruned the Concords just like the Muscadines and they did very well. I pruned them at about 80%. We have a terrible time with Japanese Beetles so I have traps out now..they really work..Good luck..

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dixiedoodle said:
I have a dozen Muscadine grapes and 2 Concords and I prune them after Thanksgiving. I pruned the Concords just like the Muscadines and they did very well. I pruned them at about 80%. We have a terrible time with Japanese Beetles so I have traps out now..they really work..Good luck..
Yes, you can prune in the late fall/early winter however you need to be sure that there is enough time for the plant to recover before a frost, if not the pruned vines can die back. This of course all depends on your climate and region and depends on an individual basis.

Commercially available beneficial nematodes are a great way to control japanese beetle grubs. If applied when the grubs are still small they can be very effective.

Good luck.

Latest posts