Do you think this can be canned?

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have quite a few satsuma trees and have been looking for recipes to can them as either a jam or a preserve. I came across this recipe on the Sunkist website and it sounds like what I've been looking for. However, there are no instructions for water bath or pressure canning, it only says to freeze. Do you think this can be canned?

Easy Fresh Orange Jam

The flavor of fresh oranges comes through in this Easy Fresh Orange Jam, it can also be frozen for longer storage.

3 Sunkist oranges,peeled and cut into chunks
4 cups sugar
3 oz. liquid fruit pectin
2 Tbsp. water

Instructions: (Makes 5 Servings)

Makes five 1/2-pint jars
In a food processor or blender, finely chop the oranges to yield 2 cups.
In a bowl, combine the chopped oranges and sugar; let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine the pectin and water; add to orange mixture, and stir for 3 minutes.
Pour into sterilized 1/2-pint jars with lids, filling to within 1/2 inch of the top; cover.
Set at room temperature for 24 hours; then refrigerate.
Will keep refrigerated up to three weeks-or freeze for longer storage.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have to be careful when canning any of the citrus. Too high a temperature will give them an off taste and often turn them bitter. Fortunately they are acid enough to get away with water bath canning in place of a pressure canner. Process them for as short a time as you can get away with.

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hoodat, Thanks for the reply. This confirms what my web-research discovered. I can find a lot of recipes for marmalade and juice-jelly, but nothing for a jam that contains orange segments. I wrote to the home-ec department of our State Ag center, and here's what she said:

The jam would have to be heated before placing in the jars in order to process it in a boiling water bath. Heating the jam mixture would change the taste of the product so that it would have a cooked, rather than a fresh taste. It would, therefore, be more similar to an orange marmalade.

So I think I'd better look at an orange jelly, as opposed to a jam.

Latest posts