Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, now and then ...

IMG_20161031_164739.jpg
digitS'

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never for gardening and usually not much for anything else unless it deals with handling hurty thingies. I always have good intentions of wearing gloves and I've even bought a few pair down through the years...but they disappear without having been used more than once for handling splintery wood or briars and then I get to thinking, "Hey...I really need a pair of gardening gloves so my fingernails won't have permanent dirt stains on them" and then I buy another pair.

Never works out. Can't stand to not feel the things I'm handling. I'll wear gloves in the winter time when it's pretty cold, but that's about it.

NY, next time that happens you soak that sore cut in warm epsom salts water and the throbbing will go right out of it. The next day it will be much better.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wear gloves all the time for gardening. But the only ones I can stand to wear continuously and work all day in are the Atlas nitrile palmed ones. I have to order them online now, they're getting hard to find. They fit snug and are sensitive enough for transplanting.

Even so my hands are rough and calloused and my nails are nearly impossible to keep clean. I have to break out the Waterpik to get all the grunge out of them. :p

Waterpik! It's not just for teeth anymore!

Another use for electric tooth brushes, keep the old brushes, great for cleaning the tracks of sliding windows and other grimy hard to get at places.

Annette

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have good intentions, I own several pairs. I Put them on only to take them off when I can not feel what I am doing! Or in wandering about the flower beds and veggies I see weeds to pull etc. I just do it without going back to find my gloves. I have more than once cut my hands and fingers pulling tough/rough weeds.
Here is a pair laying idle. ;)
misc 029.JPG

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is why I hate about those gloves: After the first use, what dangers are lurking in those things after they lay on the shelf. Spiders and other stinging thingies....Every time I use the cloth or plastic coated gloves, they go right into the washer and dryer. After that I put them into a zip lock bag until the next use....

Other than that I like to uses latex. They come in large boxes like at the hospital...My hands get hot and sweaty in summer, I just take them off and dry my hands and put a new pair on. Sometimes I put the cloth ones over top of the plastic ones.

They both protect me from poison ivy and stinging plants.....but those spiders that like to live in the gloves scare me....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will also wear the latex gloves. There is a box in nearly my size, behind the seat of the pickup.

Cloth gloves also go into the washer once or twice during their life. Prewash with bleach, then wash. I had 4 pairs of my cloth gloves and 2 pairs of DW's, last time. You can see that a couple of pairs have reached the end of the line because of dahlia digging and very wet soil.

I am conscientious about gloves. Skin is pretty good at protecting us from the environment but not if it's broken. I made it through dahlia digging without a break ... it took several hours on 3 different days. Imagine what that mud and gravel would have done to my hands without gloves.

Wet dirt is a frequent concern through the growing season. Again and again I'll stop myself and put on a pair of gloves before touching a hose and I'm constantly dragging a hose around! This is the Wild West where we are lucky to get 3" of rain during the 3 months of summer.

Here's a tip: twist the top of the gloves before stuffing them in your pants pocket. That will hold them better. Those gloves, rolled up shirt sleeves, a ball cap, a hoe to lean on ... "put down that cigarette, @Nyboy !!! You know that tobacco virus is just waiting to attack your tomatoes, peppers, Datura, and Nicotiana!!!"

digitS of Steve
Remember too: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep a pair of gardening gloves by the basement door inside, and by the garage door, so I usually can find them when I need them. I think there is a pair in my car trunk, too.
I have some knots on a few knuckles, and easily broken skin, so gloves give me a little extra padding.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with you, Red...those creepy crawlies that tend to slip into unused gloves and farm boots give me the willies. I'll usually fold a pair of gloves together like mating a pair of socks, just to keep any creepies out of them until I use them again...which could be years. I carry just such a pair in my tool tote for just in case moments.

I have good intentions, I own several pairs. I Put them on only to take them off when I can not feel what I am doing! Or in wandering about the flower beds and veggies I see weeds to pull etc. I just do it without going back to find my gloves. I have more than once cut my hands and fingers pulling tough/rough weeds.
Here is a pair laying idle. ;) View attachment 17008

Carol Dee, that pic right there should definitely be entered into the POW...perfect for this site! Love it!

Latest posts