Do zucchini and yellow summer squash hybridize?

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So I planted both zucchini and yellow squash (straight and crookneck). Early in the summer I got lots of each, nice dark green zucchini, bright yellow summer squash. As the summer wore on I started getting some weird looking stuff. Dark green with yellow lumps (like the crookneck lumps), yellow and green striped, etc. I feel it's a fair assumption that these close relatives could cross-pollinate, so in the future should I just plant one or the other, instead of both?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting! I have always planted both in the same garden, and never seen this happen. I am sure others will know for sure. I thought the issue was with the following years crop...Have you tried them? Do they taste off?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fruit may change because of disease.

The fruit of any plant is a part of the pistil, the female flower part. It can be called an ovary.

The fruit is part of the plant that it grows on. Like the leaf is part of the plant that it grows on

The seed is the offspring of reproduction, whether a hybrid or not.

Steve

Edited to say: But, to answer your question - - Cucurbita pepo is a species that includes both summer squash and zucchini. So, it is possible that you had hybrid seed to start off with. And, if you save seed when growing both types of squash, you may end up with a hybrid.

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
They taste fine, and look healthy, other than the mixing of colors and textures. The plants are all incredibly healthy and vigorous. Whatever my soil has in it is apparently delightful to all types of squash and pumpkins. Still working on making the tomatoes and peppers happy though...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some viruses do nothing other than change the appearance.

We've got tulip varieties that are hugely appreciated but owe their appearance to a virus . . .

I'm glad you can enjoy your squash, Snewman.

Steve