Does anybody keep bees?

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It just seems like such a good idea if you're going to have a garden, and I'm wondering about the sacrifices and benefits of bees.:bee

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
tomatokate said:
It just seems like such a good idea if you're going to have a garden, and I'm wondering about the sacrifices and benefits of bees.:bee
Yeah it does sound like a great idea, plus your own honey. And better pollination in the garden with more bees.I actually thought about last year but wouldnt have room for a hive, plus with residents nearby it might not be a great idea.

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i had bees in Florida.... i had so much honey i didn't know what to do with but my flowers look the best. but after my neighbors started complain i had to get rid of them. its not hard to take care of them and after you get stung a bunch of times you get used to it.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i dont have bees, but it is something i have been researching on line .. i would like to but just small scale .. i'll be curious to learn more here ..

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do a search for Mason Bees, these are the bees native to North America, what we know as honey bees were brought from Europe. Mason bees set up shop in hollow tubes or thin openings. They do not sting.
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekeeping is a wonderful hobby and meshes nicely with gardening. We've been keeping bees for four years now, this year they're building up nicely. Your best bet if you want to get into beekeeping is to joins a local bee association and attend their bee school. Here is a state by state listing of beekeeping organizations, just look up your state and off you go!

If you have any specific questions, ask away, I'll be happy to help.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my first year with bees and I love them!!! I went to bee meetings all winter- we have a beekeeping club and I learned so much. I have a secluded spot to keep them, so they are bothering no one. Honestly, I know there are thousands of bees out there- but I rarely notice them flying about. Every time, I enter the bee yard, I feel like I have found a secret garden. They are so cool and such interesting creatures. We have yet to be stung... Since, I am in upstate NY, I haven't noticed a difference in my garden- I just planted last week, but I will keep you posted! I have about a 1/2 acre wildflower meadow, that is full of daisy's at the moment- so they don't need to go far to find plenty of nectar! Some of the beekeepers in the club, have a hive right in their garden and have no problems with it...The mason bees are fascinating, as well- just no honey....Try it, I think you will like it!

Latest posts