Does anybody use floating row covers?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the tomatoes and peppers in and because of the freezing lows we've had for a few nights I fluffed straw around the first batch and covered both batches with a floating row cover. I was planning on leaving the row cover on 24/7 until the days are much warmer, but also planning on keeping them covered every night for the duration of the season.

My question is this, do you think I'm missing out on gaining some extra warmth on sunny days by keeping the FRC in place? It's light and porous, but must block some sun. I'd like to leave it there until they grow because it's a pain right now putting it on and tucking them all in, but I also want to take advantage of every shred of heat I can..... :hu

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I purchased a roll a couple years back.......but the only thing I've used it for is for "forming" Cajun Boudin Balls. It works REALLY good, for that.

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is the first year I'm trying floating row covers over my Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage and kohlrabi in hopes to discouraging cabbage worm infestation. I was pretty cynical but thought I'd give it a try as an experiment. So far the plants seem to be thriving under it. I don't know if it adds much warmth, but I'm happy if it does. I also put it over my kale, but removed it because it seemed that slugs like to live under it too. The kale is planted near the compost pile, so kale treats were pretty handy to the resident slugs there I guess.

I'll be interested to hear what others think about FRC.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It may have been close to 20 years ago that I used it over, I believe, a bed of dahlias.

The idea was that it was going on something that could not take a frost but I wanted an earlier blooming season. I tried plastic over hoops on that bed on another year. Then, decided that it was just to close to some bushes that harbored slugs and earwigs.

Earwigs eat on dahlias something terrible and a covering probably just protects the bugs from the sparrows. At least, that was how I imagine it. The row cover was around for a few years but I didn't make any other use of it.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use row covers to protect from certain insects, and to get a little extended time on more fragile plans if they call for an early frost and I don't want to loss the last of my lettuce or ripen a few remaining peppers late fall/ early winter.

I find them best for keeping squash bugs, cucumber beetles, and vine borer moths off the tender plants. I have a roll of it I'm thinking of covering some pumpkin with. Vine borer season starts in a couple weeks, and doesn't end until the last week in July here.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Floating row covers have been proven to hold moisture and heat, which means an earlier and healthier crop. As well as it protects your plants from those occasional dips in temperatures and from light frost, it also deter pets and other animals from romping in your garden.

Mapdoctor

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It might block a little of the UV light, but overall, will probably keep the inside temp warmer than if the plants were uncovered. BTW, they work great for keeping deer out of sweet potatoes!

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love floating row covers for broccoli and cabbage to keep the cabbage looper moths from laying eggs on the plants.

Latest posts