Does anyone CSA?

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Do any of you run a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) or maybe are a member of a CSA?

DH & I have one with 33 members in one farmers market, and 12 members in another market.

I'd like to compare notes, share ideas, etc. if this interests anyone.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am purchasing from The Food Shed. It is a cooperative with a bunch of local farmers. I am really enjoying it! You order from the computer and go pick up once a week. When you get there- the farmers often have extra things that are a surprise. Garlic scapes, tomato plants, etc. I used to drive about a half hour to get grass fed meat- now I can get it right around the corner! Are you guys selling your beautiful produce this way?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a big CSA, Kim!

We have neighbors at the farmers' market who have done CSA's for about 15 years. I suppose I should know more about it just from watching them!

One thing I appreciate is that they still offer produce on their tables so it isn't as tho' they've turned their booth into kind of a loading dock of boxes of produce. So, they have a regular flow of customers in and out with boxes and folks purchasing from their displays, as well. But, it looks like a lot of work!

Something easier and kind of a compromise that I've read about is a guy in Hawaii who sells at his farm stand that is only open a couple days each week. The stand is also nearly a loading dock but he avoids that lack of ambiance by having crafts on concession there. (Maybe jams and things like Vfem does :)).

He also has his extra boxes of mixed vegetables available on a 1st come basis. That way, you can leave with veggies even if you aren't a subscriber but it is a one-size-fits-all purchase. It must take some work off his shoulders to do things that way.

Steve

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks WZ! - I did get a lot of ideas from that info. For one, I need to post a page like that on our website! :)

Lesa - Our members get a standard box each week with preselected items. based on what's in season. However, we do work with people and exchange things in the boxes - for example some folks can't have jams/jellies with sugar, or have chickens and don't want eggs, etc.

We also have a meat option - those who buy into it get one of our meats each week. We rotate through grass fed beef, pastured chicken, and pastured pork/sausage.

What do you like best about the program you're in?

Steve - We also set-up a booth. It's still 'open to the public' with additional produce, all of our meats, jams/jellies, breads, etc. Other customers can shop as if our CSA didn't exist. If a CSA member wants to exchange something, those items are available.

We were concerned at the beginning of the season not to oversell. We didn't want to disappoint members with a lack of produce if some crops failed, etc. So we only sold shares to cover 1/2 of our production. We also have many regulars who raise gardens and buy from us to supplement, so we wanted to leave something for them as well. So far this is working well for us.

ETA: In a year or two, we hope to have an actual farm store. Currently we sell commercial gourmet and regional foods online. We have an older packhouse building (like a very small warehouse) on the farm. We use it to house our freezers and refridgerators, store the commercial goods, and pack/ship the online orders.

Folks do come here to buy produce and meats from us or pick-up CSA boxes. But we want to have something similar to an Amish store, plus our farm goods, that's open a couple days per week.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
CSA's seem to be a win/win situation for everyone involved. Do you think that it's just a "fad" (like some say about the recent interest in vegetable gardening) or do you think it will continue to grow and prosper?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really hope it is not a fad, boggy. It is a great way to buy local- and have a great selection of super healthy food. Kim, I do enjoy being able to pick what I want- but in the Albany I have a friend who belongs to a CSA like yours, that gives you a box of what is available....Since I have a big garden, produce is not what I need.. I cannot raise my own meat (YET)- so this works great for me. Your farm store idea sounds wonderful!

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have been part of a CSA for 4 years. Our front porch is a pick-up spot for the people who live in town. It is great. We get mostly produce, sometimes some extras from other local producers, like cheese or pasta. The first year we had trouble eating it all, but after I radically changed the way I eat when I found out I had type 2 diabetes, we eat all of that and all of the vegetables from our garden, plus more from a local organic vegetable and fruit stand that, fortunately for me has opened up on my way to and from work.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With more people slowly becoming aware of the dangers of processed food and GMOs, I don't think it will be a fad.

Home gardening popularity waxes and wanes. I don't think that will change.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lesa - good to know, thanks. Our members can do the meat option only, and purchase produce 'al a carte' as desired. Flexibility and accommodating members needs seems to help quite a bit with attracting and satisfying members.

Another thing we're doing is accommodating vacations. We set-up the season with 2 extra weeks, which allows some "skips" or vacation weeks during the season. We just ask for advance notice so that we don't prepare a needless box.

I hope it's not a fad too! We were hesitant to do a CSA, but had so many customer requests last year that we decided to go for it. It's been really, really helpful with planning our crops/planting. And also a BIG help with purchasing livestock for our meat programs. With 22 of our members committed to meat purchases each week, we know exactly how many chickens, pigs and cows to raise to cover that business for the season.

WZ - yep, most of the folks who've joined our program are very concerned about moving away from processed food, GMOs, and commercial mass-processed meats. We've heard things like "oh, thank you so much for making healthy choices available" many, many times.

herbsherbsflowers - I was wondering about the response to 'extras'. So far we've included jams/jellies, relish and homemade breads. We were surprised to see how delighted many members were with those things, even got requests for more!

During the Spring lettuce season we also included an all natural salad dressing. I have organic pastas and other items like that available from our Amish suppliers. Maybe we'll use some of those as well.