Does anyone else grow Lisianthus ?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Great flower.
They grow pretty easy from seed?
The seeds are like dust! Really, the tiniest seed in the world....and the seedlings, they are microscopic!

You have to plant a lot of seeds and it first looks like the soil is turning green like algae, then the seedlings get bigger from there and begin to resemble moss. Sometimes they volunteer naturally (like this one in the hanging basket!)

I will try to grow more next season, and this pot has two of them in it. One is not in bloom cycle yet, and may end up being a different color; it may wait until next year. This is a frost tender perennial, so pulling them in for the winter will carry them over to another year, and a thicker stand of them.

Uggh, I need a Greenhouse! :rose

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
injunjoe said:
Great flower.
They grow pretty easy from seed?
The seeds are like dust! Really, the tiniest seed in the world....and the seedlings, they are microscopic!

You have to plant a lot of seeds and it first looks like the soil is turning green like algae, then the seedlings get bigger from there and begin to resemble moss. Sometimes they volunteer naturally (like this one in the hanging basket!)

I will try to grow more next season, and this pot has two of them in it. One is not in bloom cycle yet, and may end up being a different color; it may wait until next year. This is a frost tender perennial, so pulling them in for the winter will carry them over to another year, and a thicker stand of them.

Uggh, I need a Greenhouse! :rose

Ron
I am so totally in shock that you do not have one. Really. You are such a gardening dude - kick them bunnies out! ;)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
I am so totally in shock that you do not have one. Really. You are such a gardening dude - kick them bunnies out! ;)
OMG...I just had a Flash! Wait! Here it comes! I HAVE A GREENHOUSE!!!!

Wow, how did that happen? :th

This my Dear'ears will have to wait for another post! :pop

This will be really awesome...well, and sad....and oh so worth it, could get noisy too!

OK, another post for another day....... ahhhhh! :frow

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Broke Down Ranch said:
OMG...I just had a Flash! Wait! Here it comes! I HAVE A GREENHOUSE!!!!

Wow, how did that happen? :th

This my Dear'ears will have to wait for another post! :pop

This will be really awesome...well, and sad....and oh so worth it, could get noisy too!

OK, another post for another day....... ahhhhh! :frow

Ron
um......OK?

(hey Ron, whatcha rollin up in those 'backy leaves...?)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I am too tired to put the post together today.... :th

I know this sounds unbelievable, but it seems I had my greenhouse sitting here all along. I just need to do some adjusting.

I will let you peek, but, you have to promise to wait until I start a new post about it. I want to dialogue the entire process from the footings to where it is today and why it is now eligible to become my new greenhouse! (this was the sad but happy part!)

So these pictures are of a different season. I chose this season specifically because this would be the specific season to have such a thing!!!! And...it is already heated! I have 3 radiant heaters that produce 140 degrees at the surface.

29msoea.jpg

670aon.jpg

2vkwyf9.jpg

OH wow, look what was in this group of pictures, look at all my Brugmansias
2rzf5g1.jpg

2uh1z74.jpg

deu1rt.jpg

Oh, this shows the door to the new Greenhouse is 6 ft exactly, so I do not have to duck to walk in. I like this shot because it shows that old Chili-picker and the Tractor Shed to the West of my house; this is where all the pigeons live!
2dt66pw.jpg

Now all I have to do is bring the Lovebirds indoors, and use heavy mil plastic to enclose it. I can remove the branch and the birdbath and install shelving that can accommodate the flat radiant heaters!

Ron :tools

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

WOW! :ep I can't wait! -- How exciting! :lol:

Good Luck with your new project. :weee :celebrate
It will be great to follow your progress -- I'm jealous............!! I have to admit it --- Green with envy............:plbb

:rose Hattie :rose

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Look at all that SNOW! :th

I am so looking forward to seeing your new project. And those brugs :ep yes, freezing temps are certainly hard on them...

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Broke,

I pointed out the Brugs so that you can see what yours will look like during winter. All very normal, but they are hardy to freezes, they just go right down to the root and survive.

This particular picture shows them one season that I did not cut them before frost and propagate. Instead I let the branches stay on them until Spring.

Ron :frow

Latest posts