does anyone else keep track?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year I started keep track of how many pounds of veggies I've grown in my gardens, my gardens add up to a total of 600 square feet of planting space and produce roughly 305 lbs of veggies. I had a bad year with the tomatoes because I didn't stake them, big mistake, I lost 3/4's of the tomatoes to field mice and rotted bottoms. My goal this year is 1000 lbs. I'm cheating a little cuz I've added to my garden size and plant on adding even more in a week or so.. So do any of you keep track of how much you produce??:)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always start out keeping a spreadsheet but then when things get busy I fail to keep up with it. I know a lot of people had a bad year with tomatoes. We had tooooo much rain. All time record rainfall for 2011 in Ohio. Great year for cucumbers.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried this here a couple of years ago... go figure half way through I quit. I was figuring weight of each veggie/fruit and figured savings by checking weight prices for that veggie/fruit that week at the grocery store. I barely go through July and lost track. I know we were well over 100lbs by then and our fruit trees and canes hadn't even matured to produce then. They are now, so that will make a huge difference. I also kept track of the herbs as well, now that is a GREAT $$$ savings with how expensive those were. I was hoping to keep better track of harvests this year on my blog, but we'll see. I try to tackle too much to be that good at keeping track with so much detail.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem, all I did is keep a notebook and scale outside by the door and every time I came in with veggies I weighed and wrote down veggie type and weight, at the end of the year I didn't break it down, not enough time, but I did add it up. This year I will do the same only thing is I will include apples and pears, I over pruned last year and didn't even get one single fruit from them, this year I will and include with the totals. Plan on making lots of apple pie filling with the granny smith apples, apple sauce with the other apples, and can pears from the pear trees. Two years ago I got about 4 wheelbarrows full of pears from my two small pear trees, hoping for the same this year, better get to buying more canning jars! :D

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nope. I feel the same way, Phantom. Not only am I not so sure I want to know, but I also know myself well enough to know that I would never keep up with it. :p

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a new gardener, the only thing I keep track of is hte day that I plant things and a note or two about how it turned out. That way I can decide when the best time to plant different veggies so they get the best start in the garden. the only thing that I wieghed last year were the green tomatoes we picked after the first frost (93.5 lbs) . If I can get things growing better maybe I'll start keeping track of harvest totals. It does sound like a good idea!