Does anyone have egg gourd seeds? or know where I can get some?

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I recently found a strange looking gourd growing in the woods close to the old family garden space. My SO explained it was an egg gourd and his grandma used to grow them for use in her chicken house. It must have been a volunteer from a long time ago. I kept an eye on it and planned to harvest it when it was ripe, but the cows beat me to it :barnie
I've looked all over that area of the property and haven't found another. Does anyone have such a thing?

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
YES! I have some! I use them to make ornaments for Christmas. I belong to the American Gourd society, and have been for many years! Gourds are fascinating.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bluebird,
Do you have enough to share or do you know a commercial nursery that I could order some from? My SO tells me that his grandma put them in the chicken's nest and when the black snakes came stealing eggs, they sometimes got an egg gourd instead. They'd eat em and die. Now I'm not crazy about killing black snakes (I think they're beautiful), but I won't share eggs either!
Also, Bluebird, I am just guessing here, but you don't belong to the BYC group do ya?
Quick everybody! A possible convert! Let's start working on her!:yiipchick

Oops, my mistake, you are a chicken convert already - just checked out your webpage - NICE!.
Forgive me for being overly enthusiastic, I'm still a newbie. :p

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bluebird said:
YES! I have some! I use them to make ornaments for Christmas. I belong to the American Gourd society, and have been for many years! Gourds are fascinating.
Me too I love making ornaments with those!

Birdgardengal

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi!

I love painting gourds but I have never seen Christmas ornaments made out of them. Is there some where I could see a picture of them. I think this would be really fun for my granddaughter and I to do together.

Thanks for the idea,
Jeri

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bluebird, thanks for all those sites. I love growing gourds and try to grow something different every year. I like the idea of making ornaments, I could possibly sell those at our family christmas tree farm.

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You are very welcome! I don't do as many crafts as I'd like to, but I still tinker with it. My favorites are the natural-looking birdhouses, with a coat of wood stain for color.

citygirlinthecountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My local co-op had egg gourd seeds when I was there last. Do you have a co-op nearby? Mine always has interesting things.