does anyone have "Immortality" iris growing in shade or under pines?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know this is a very specific and weird-sounding question, but by any chance do any of y'all have iris "Immortality" (a white rebloomer) growing in shade or under pines?

The reason I'm asking is because a couple years ago I wanted some in the morning shade near some pines, and stupid me, instead of dividing the main clump, I scored a cheap pot at a (good) nursery and put that in. It took a year to bloom, and when it did (last year and this year both) it's come out very tall, totally different flower shape, and light-purple :p

I would *think* that it's probably just mislabelled, but before I move it and put a chunk o' REAL Immortality there, I'd like to try to confirm it isn't just odd-looking because of the shade or the acidity of soil. (Tho I've grown other irises in shade and they haven't changed much if at all)

So, any chance any of you might have a "test case" of this for me?

Just checkin' on the offchance, thanks for any replies,

Pat

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have it and strangely enough i bought at the same time with a Beverly Sills that was supposed to be pink! i thought i bought both while they were blooming last year but this year when both bloomed they were both white when they opened. the outside while it was budding have a very pale blue look to it! i have a red Spartan iris that is in the same area and it is not having any issues i can see with it's color.

all are planted in my front yard which gets shade most of the daytime till the afternoon/evening. there are 3 big oak trees out there and in the neighbor's yard and across the street are some pine trees.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well that pretty much convinces me then I guess it's an imposter LOL

When they finish blooming I'll relocate the ugly tall pale-purple thing to somewhere it won't bother me, and move some genuine Immortality into the place where it was.

Thanks very much!!

Pat

Latest posts