Does this bee setup sound like a good deal?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH did it on his own! Lots of reading. Calls to friends of friends willing to share knowledge. He has not been able to find a club closer than an hour+ drive away! He is mesmerized by them. Here is a photo of the observation hive on the front porch. Papa and Grandsons learning about bees together. :) View attachment 6025
;) Someday this will be yours, :drool
View attachment 6024

Carol Dee, tell your husband that his observation hive is remarkable!
I love that idea. I would bet money that your grandsons grow up to be beeks. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Umm......psssst......hey! Carol! look to the right, where it says backyard herds and click on it....... :lol:

Any chance of him drawing his plans up and making them available? :fl
I can ask? He did say there where flaws and he will be redoing it this year. You may want to wait for the revised version. ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen plans online before, but I can't recall if I have them bookmarked. There is a very large and active bee forum (don't think I am supposed to mention competing forums ;) ) that may have some ideas too.

ETA: Pinterest turned up quite a few hits to look through... :caf

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom, I like the idea. As the others have mentioned, do your own research and for sure, take that class this Feb. Getting the whole set up, set up and ready to go can be a lot easier than buying bits and pieces to get started.

Get as much info from other area bee keepers before your 'pro' delivers your bees. That way the questions you still need answers to will be more specific to your site than all about bees.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was talking to a neighbor yesterday who mentioned that they got scads of zucchini when the plants started producing then nothing. The fruits would start to grow and then shrivel up and die. Mine did that too - got ZERO zuks from my 2 plants last year. We were talking that maybe its the lack of bees around here. We hardly see any. And it got me to thinking about setting up a bee hive but I know that they can die and fly away and such.

***wondering how much the golfers would like bees in this neighborhood***

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was talking to a neighbor yesterday who mentioned that they got scads of zucchini when the plants started producing then nothing. The fruits would start to grow and then shrivel up and die. Mine did that too - got ZERO zuks from my 2 plants last year. We were talking that maybe its the lack of bees around here. We hardly see any. And it got me to thinking about setting up a bee hive but I know that they can die and fly away and such.

***wondering how much the golfers would like bees in this neighborhood***
Try planting flowers that attract bees.

Latest posts