DOG POOP TEA - any benefit??

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've heard of manure tea as a general fertilizer, and I think it is a great thing. I was wondering if dog poop tea is worth the trouble, or if there is some sort of lurking menace in it.

I have alot of dogs around here and they make a boat load of shi'te, let me tell you. I've read that it is not good to put it in the compost heap as it introduces disease/parasites. But what if you make it into tea and then compost the leftovers?

Or maybe there is another way?

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Dog Poop can carry pathogens, and if you can't put it in the compost, there is no way I would get that crap ( :lol: ) anywhere near my plants.

Anything left over after making tea would likely contain the same diseases or pathogens to introduce into the compost pile.

I wouldn't do it. :sick

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, let me get this out of the way . . . :sick LOL

Well, the reason not to use pet waste is that they often carry diseases and/or microorganisms that are contagious to humans. So I would say, "NO!" But what you might consider doing is digging a compost pit for the pet waste and then only using that compost on ornamentals after a good 3 + (this is a guess) years of composting. You can use humanure too, after, I think, 7 years of composting.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't do it. There are too many dog parasites that can make ya pretty sick if you're unlucky. You'd have to be real, real assured of composting thoroughness to use even *composted* pet manure on the garden, esp. a food garden.

Pat

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree, keep away from the stuff, YERRRRK..........!!! Urghhhhhhhh.....!!
:ep :sick :sick :sick :sick :sick :sick :sick :hu :smack :sick :sick :sick No! NO, NOOOOOoooooooooooh !!!!!!!!!

NASTY............................! Drop the subject! ;)

:rose Hattie :rose

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL Hattie. Yeah, I especially am not appreciating how this topic is sitting right next to the one about CAKE!!!!!!!!!! :sick :sick :sick :gig

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well okay then - no dog poo in the garden.

Maybe I can flatten it out, let it dry and use it like plywood?

Latest posts