Don't mean to be a pest... Got another question...

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok, my next question is about the raised beds I'm putting in my front yard. How tall should they be? and what kind of soil mixture do I want in there?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How tall: doesn't matter, unless you are gardening on rock or concrete or totally pure brickmaking clay. The plants will root down into the native soil and get benefit from it, even if it's not brilliantly good soil. 6" is a perfectly adequate depth for most purposes, again unless you are on rock or concrete.

What soil: anything good, reasonably moisture-retentive (i.e. with a fair content of compost or peat), and as weed-free as can be arranged.

Honestly, it is not rocket science, just do whatever you can and it will be fine :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just echoing what Pat has said, and adding a bit more.

You could look at the SFG book, the "All New" one. He uses 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Vermiculite (use Perlite if you can't get vermiculite), 1/3 5-way compost. It amounts in the end to something of a potting mix, just a lot cheaper. He starts at 6", and says that if do go taller for "regular" crops you need only fill to 6". I figure, since you're not using the extra inches why buy the 10" right? I would only ever suggest something larger for crops like potatoes, and carrots. I'm using a 10" deep bed for my carrots, and buckets for my potatoes.

Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only thing I'll add is that if you are putting the raised bed on a swamp or marsh, you may have to go higher to keep the plants from drowning.

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My question would be "How far do you want to bend down?" As I get older, the bending down is the easy part. The standing back up is the challenge.

My beds are 2x12 redwood slabs, stood vertically into 4x8 boxes. They get filled to the top with loosened soil each season, and that compacts down to a couple of inches below the edges as it goes on. Works for me.

Recycled decking material, 2x6, needs to be doubled for my purposes. But then, it's free for the cost of dragging it off. :)

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
How tall: doesn't matter, unless you are gardening on rock or concrete or totally pure brickmaking clay. The plants will root down into the native soil and get benefit from it, even if it's not brilliantly good soil. 6" is a perfectly adequate depth for most purposes, again unless you are on rock or concrete.

What soil: anything good, reasonably moisture-retentive (i.e. with a fair content of compost or peat), and as weed-free as can be arranged.

Honestly, it is not rocket science, just do whatever you can and it will be fine :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
I'll ditto this. You don't even need to have raised beds unless you want to. Just have fun with it, learn, experiment and enjoy the soil.

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have raised beds because the soil here is so terrible. pH 4.8 and heavy clay. I don't want my plants to reach that, so my beds are 12" high.

HTH

Rusty

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rusty said:
I have raised beds because the soil here is so terrible. pH 4.8 and heavy clay. I don't want my plants to reach that, so my beds are 12" high.
You know, clay is actually GOOD for plants, it is very moisture-retentive (= less watering during droughts if they have their roots down into clayey soil) and nutrient-rich.

For those on clay, it is worth fracturing it up somewhat with a shovel before you put your raised bed soil on it, and then your plants will be able to root down into the clay, also the organic matter from the soil you add will filter down into the crevices and begin the process of improving that underlying clay.

Pat

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words about clay soil, Pat! Nice to know it's not all evil. ;)

Latest posts