Double-Dug vs. No-Dig

hosspak

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I only know what I've read, Hosspak.

Here is a pdf from Utah State University: Soil Problems, High pH

If your soil is clay, you may want to go with gypsum. It is used quite often around here where there is clay type Palouse soil.

Of course, beyond the elemental sulfur, an organic choice of just a good amount of organic matter will lower pH. Peat is supposed to be quite acidic, as well.

Steve
Desert soil here, I have added sooo much organics over the past 3 years (my head spins). In addition to at least 5 inches of coop compost over the last 3 months. The soil test also shows almost zero nitro, but good Phosphorus and I think medium potassium. I expected all the poop to lower the ph. I guess another trip to the Depot....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here before Hosspak, but the pH kits you buy for home testing aren't always reliable. It might be worth it to you to get your soil tested through your county ag dept.
It would for sure save you some guess work

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden was hard dirt. I dug the beds and turned the dirt over, worked in compost, then I covered the beds with paper feedsacks and weighted them down with bricks. I cut a hole in the feed sacks and inserted plants. it kept weeds down and made it easier to care for. Now I work the soil with a spading fork just to loosen it, top dress with compost, plant and mulch.

The feedsacks, do they have colored ink? I have a bunch of feedsacks that I have saved from rabbit food and was wondering about this today. I have an area I want to expand and was wondering where to get enough cardboard and then saw the sacks. I am thinking of not tilling this year for the first time.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe it was you Steve who once called my habit of cramming and crowding "intensive gardening" after I had been complaining about myself. It was so sweet of you to legitimize my bad gardening habits! :cool:
I have always over planted. The close plants help shade the soil and prevent weeds.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The feedsacks, do they have colored ink? I have a bunch of feedsacks that I have saved from rabbit food and was wondering about this today. I have an area I want to expand and was wondering where to get enough cardboard and then saw the sacks. I am thinking of not tilling this year for the first time.
Yes they have colored ink, but not a lot. I just never worried about it and used them anyway. The paper feed sacks are in several layers, if it bothers you, just peel off the top layer. Feed sacks are rather utilitarian, unless it's the colorful plastic bags (I have been guilty of buying just for the pretty colored bag haha). The paper sacks usually don't have a lot of fancy colors on them.

hosspak

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes they have colored ink, but not a lot. I just never worried about it and used them anyway. The paper feed sacks are in several layers, if it bothers you, just peel off the top layer. Feed sacks are rather utilitarian, unless it's the colorful plastic bags (I have been guilty of buying just for the pretty colored bag haha). The paper sacks usually don't have a lot of fancy colors on them.
Don't quote me on this but newspapers use organically safe ink so its possible that the printing on the bag would be safe as well. A little Google digging might find an answer, if you are still concerned......... or bored. lol

Latest posts