Double-Dug vs. No-Dig

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I've been reading in awful lot about various types of gardening, and have recently started reading about intensive gardening. There appears to be two main sorts of intensive gardening, "Double digging" (where you dig a foot down and then loosen another foot down with a fork) and "No-Dig" (Spreading compost over the top and disturbing soil life as little as possible.)

Which is better do you suppose? Are there other methods I'm missing?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first time you open ground for a new garden, double digging is a good idea. That allows for better weed/grass removal, better drainage, better for incorporating soil additives. The double digging is only a first year enterprise.

I am with the NO-DIG side when it comes to continuing to use a garden space. After that first year, I believe that the less you disturb soil microbes the better you will grow natural soil helpers against disease and pests. Here, all the compost and additives are spread over the top and, at the most, raked in lightly near the top or at best, left on the top to suppress weed growth and increase the moisture holding qualities of the soil.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first time you open ground for a new garden, double digging is a good idea. That allows for better weed/grass removal, better drainage, better for incorporating soil additives. The double digging is only a first year enterprise.

I am with the NO-DIG side when it comes to continuing to use a garden space. After that first year, I believe that the less you disturb soil microbes the better you will grow natural soil helpers against disease and pests. Here, all the compost and additives are spread over the top and, at the most, raked in lightly near the top or at best, left on the top to suppress weed growth and increase the moisture holding qualities of the soil.

It's probably good that double digging is only for the first year because it seems like an awful lot of work! I like the idea of the double digging for better root space, but I think the no-dig is better long term (just based on what I've read) because it helps with structure and keeps you from having to play Twister trying to not step on your garden bed.

If the compost is spread on the top is it available to to the roots? Perhaps watering it in sinks the nutrients, or does it all stay on top?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the compost is spread on the top is it available to to the roots? Perhaps watering it in sinks the nutrients, or does it all stay on top?

In nature, isn't all compost is laid on top of the ground (except for decaying roots)?
Besides what enter the soil with watering, earthworms and other critters make the compost break down further as well as carry nutrients down where it is needed. Win/win/win!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like no dig is the real winner :D Thanks so much!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think with no dig you need to dig for the first few years. When I say dig, I would till. Getting rid of the weeds and grass will take time.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The double digging is really time consuming, but I'm so glad that I did it for 4 beds. I still have 5 more to do. LOTS of sweat equity, but it's worth it bc we have between 3-18 inches of natural, glacier tilled black topsoil on top of heavy clay and the clay will dry to cement.
I dug up the first spade's depth and removed to another place on my 5 acres. I dug up the 2nd spade's depth and put it to the side of my bed. I even dug up a 3rd spade's depth, hand tilled and mixed with compost, did the same the next level up and the mixed fresh dirt from some other place on the property and mixed that with compost. This was about 30 inches deep, the depth I had been planting by augering holes for my tomato plants. It was well worth it.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No dig work great for me but tilling does help to improve soil quality and stir compost/plant matter into the soil. It also makes it harder for weeds to establish themselves which means easier or less picking. The only time I have ever double-dug would be when making the blueberry bed... or burying deer guts from a recent kill. I guess that what you do heavily depends on what kind of soil you have. Mine is really loose but retains water well, it has a good amount amount of organic material in it. All of this gardening stuff will get easier and more enjoyable as the years fly by. Good luck! :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have fine-grained clay, if that makes sense. I have to dig. No matter how much compost I put in, it still looks and acts like clay. Dries to concrete. :barnie

Latest posts