Dream garden/chicken coop setup

wishin4chicken

Leafing Out
Reaction score
From the time I found this article on the internet, it's been my idea of the perfect garden/chicken coop setup!

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/geno0704.html

Husband said it looked like a terrific idea! and that having chickens would be great. He's been working on another project but it's almost done. :ya He's going to have to give in fairly soon cause spring is beginning to come to Idaho .

So, I'm wondering, does anyone have a setup that's similar to this and how's working out?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There was at least one thread on this same idea on the BYC site last year, it looks like a great thing.
Try going over there and doing a search, you may get some more good info.
Good luck with the project. :)

wishin4chicken

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks, Natalie, for pointing me back to BYC. In all the reading I've done, I've missed that thread. I'll look it up!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you see the one for the Chicken Moat? It's a neat idea, too! I had seen John Silveira's setup, but my garden was already in place - but I could have built the Moat if I'd seen it before. No way I'd ask Hubby to move the coop - would I? ;)

wishin4chicken

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ann -- I just read the thread about the moat and sent the idea on to my husband. With all the wild critters we have around here, and the grasshoppers that visited us last summer, I'm thinking the moat idea might be great for us.

Here's the thread if anyone else is interested:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=152718

:happy_flower

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Did you see the one for the Chicken Moat? It's a neat idea, too! I had seen John Silveira's setup, but my garden was already in place - but I could have built the Moat if I'd seen it before. No way I'd ask Hubby to move the coop - would I? ;)
This is AWESOME! I have to try this with at least one garden even if i have to move the girls back to their house for the night!
My DH is gonna' HATE you!!! :lol:

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I could make this work on 3 sides of my garden for sure. Have to show it to my dh & see what he says about it. I need to stop those nasty little prarie dogs as they eat everything!! And tumbleweeds too.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DH was sceptical, to say the least, about my huge garden plans, AND the chickens I will be ordering (i tend to collect animals without asking...hes not used to that yet lol) but when I showed him the Chicken Moat plans last weekend he got really excited and now I wont have to do the heavy work myself!!! We are so excited about the benefits for the garden from the birds, and vice/versa!