Drip Watering vs. Sprinklers

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am growing a large patch of pumpkins this year and cannot decide between the two. Overhead watering would be easier and cheaper but isn't the drip method healthier for the plants and will I get better results? Or do you think I would make out fine with overhead watering?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mildew is always a concern especially for pumpkins. Watering at the base is best. If you do water overhead do it in the morning to prevent mildew.

We run PVC pipe out to our pumpkins and use bubbler/soaker sprinkler heads placed about 4 inches of the ground, they soak the ground and keep the foliage dry. One head for each plant. This is a lot of work to setup but not as much work as a drip irrigation system. It seems to work well for us.

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can I spray the plants with a copper spray to prevent the mildew?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tomatoes&Things said:
Can I spray the plants with a copper spray to prevent the mildew?
It works as a good preventative measure, yes, but since new plant tissue is always being created and watering is being done overhead you would have to apply it at 7-10 day intervals to be effective.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Mildew is always a concern especially for pumpkins. Watering at the base is best. If you do water overhead do it in the morning to prevent mildew.
My thoughts exactly OCF; this applies to tomatoes as well. I also feel drip/bubbler irrigation is more efficient because there is less waste due to evaporation.

~Phyllis

bigredrooster

Sprout
Reaction score
I have started catching rain water off the barn this year.I am trying to get a pump to pump it to the garden for a drip or small spray or soaker ,dont know what I will use yet.The tomatos are in the back yard so the water can be toted to them in buckets.

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is there anything else I could spray the pumpkins with to help prevent diseases?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bigredrooster said:
I have started catching rain water off the barn this year.I am trying to get a pump to pump it to the garden for a drip or small spray or soaker ,dont know what I will use yet.The tomatos are in the back yard so the water can be toted to them in buckets.
I use 55 gal rain barrels and soaker hoses to water just about everything from my flowers to my fruit trees. The key is getting the barrel high enough above ground level for a gravity system to have enough pressure to work a soaker hose. That way you do not need a pump. I have found that either three old tires (rims included or they will upset) or a stack three high of 8 inch concrete blocks works well for me. If your plants are a ways from your barrel and you do not want to be watering your lawn too, you can run a solid hose to your plants and either up a low pressure nozzle on it or a soaker hose/ drip line.
Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Do you use a soaker hose for beans, peas and other things planted in rows? How long should it run? How much rain do you receive in order to fill up your barrel? I love this idea, but I don't know how often I would fill up a barrel.

Just for info, we have used a sump pump attached to a hose and sprinkler when we empty the water out of the kids summer blow up slide. It worked great!

Latest posts