Droopy Tomatoes and a question about radishes

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've been getting rain off and on for the past few weeks, so I haven't bothered to water. I checked the soil and the first cm is dry but under that the soil is moist. These tomatoes are in a pot. The tops are starting to droop. Any ideas on why or how to correct it?

On the radishes. I read on the seed packet, they are ready for harvest in a month. I can't remember when I planted these but how will you know when to harvest?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not sure why your tomatos are starting to droop if they have sufficient moisture. A certain amount of droop is to be expected at the hotter parts of the afternoon, but I don't think we have reached that temperature extreme yet. Are they in large enough pots?

Radish usually kind of "push" out of the ground when they are ready. You can see the top 1/3 or so of the radish. The leaves will be large...say 4 inches or more in length. The leaves make a nice salad addition if you like the taste and texture. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the tomatoes other then perhaps they are over watered.

The radishes... you honestly just need to pull one and look. And 1 month isn't a good measure... because they can actually be 32-38 days, and some varieties up to 40 days. So, pick one, check it out and give it another 4-5 days if not what you expected.

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Are your tomatoes supported well enough? What type are they? I have cherry tomatoes in a pot that droop as well...It's basically top heavy from the fruit/veggie whatever you want to call it...:p Could be the rain too causing the stems to "suck up" extra moisture...end results=drooping...

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My tomatoes are not drooping but the bottom leaves are starting to yellow, why? We had rain but would not say they are drowning. Last couple of nights have been below 55, might go near the 30's :barnie. When I planted them in the dirt I sprinkled some fertilzer for tomatoes. Having a brain fart here and cannot think of the name. The company has fertilizer for Holly Trees (white bag), something like Osophoms. I dont know. Wondering if I need to fertilize them again because of the rain.
Take any suggestions.
TIA

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Start by pulling every other radish. That gives a bit more space for the remaining to get bigger.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They are in a large pot and are supported well (all are supported by stakes). Its only the top 3 inches or so that are drooping and many of the leaves are as well. I will check in the morning to see if it was maybe just the heat.

As far as the radishes, I will leave them in the ground for a bit longer before checking them. Maybe at the end of May.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, its the sun that is making them droop. They were perfectly perky this morning when I took the dog out. As soon as noon passed, they have started to droop. I think that is why my cucumber is drooping too. I misted the leaves down with water and the cucumber plant has been perking up.

Latest posts