Drought

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We in Massachusetts have been in a drought for 2 months. We put in a shallow well for irrigation a few years back and it has saved us. We could not have a garden with out it this year. Our water bills are enormous without using town water for the gardens.Yesterday the well lost it's prime when I watered 2 areas at once. It came back easily with slower usage. Today I am listening to gentle rain falling. Sounds like the kind that will do the soil some good. Yay!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going without something we come to expect sure makes us more aware of the blessings we have doesn't it?
That was great foresight to put a well in. Glad you're getting needed rain, hope it's a good soaking!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Drought has serious impact on the natural environment and local human economies and it's relative to normal. If your area usually has 40" of annual precipitation and you are experiencing 20", "drought conditions prevail. An area with an average of 20" would not be in a drought.

Flora and fauna are accustomed to normalcy and suffer with below average. Especially local agriculture is set up for just a shade on either side of average.

That may or may not be true for residential lots. I'm surprised when I read that water isn't always even available for gardens, or the pressure isn't adequate. We may all need to go with xeriscaping but probably not.

Realize that there are major agricultural areas where there is little growing season rainfall. I have found that Texas A&M and Washington State University have good information about irrigation. It isn't rocket science. Our vegetable and fruit plants have lived with irrigation for millennia. There is information out there on plant needs and best practices. Water may be too expensive that's one thing but I make the joke that my primary summer activity is dragging a hose around the garden. My sprinklers are a step up in technology. Balancing a shovel on my shoulder makes me feel like I'm a farm kid again :D. I just need the rubber boots!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am glad that you are getting rain. Even though we have a lot of yearly rain, the summers are hot, dry and brutal.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The guy that helped my husband put in our well for irrigation told him 24 local wells of it's kind have dried up this summer. This is definitely one of the worst droughts I have seen.I had mine go dry one day. But that is because I had 3 areas being watered at the same time. It came right back though I had to re prime it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
In all of this heat we are still just at the beginning of the tomato ripening season. I think the tomatoes have thicker skin that usual. Does anyone else think that the drought may be responsible for this? And I have been watering like crazy.

Latest posts