DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
New year, new thread!
I took the bones from the lamb chops and the duck
Posts #894 & 895
and I am cooking up broth for the next few days. Crockpot that I asked for was smaller than I realized, but I have a workaround for that.
I admired @Phaedra 's apothocary cabinet so much that I asked for a similar one for Christmas. DD abliged me. MINE is teak with 10 drawers.
WARNING!!!
These things are very popular and many are Frightfully expensive.
I found a pretty good deal online for this one, and DD beat the deal.
I, too, will be storing my seeds in it...when I have a little bit more time this week!
Cabinet #3, 12-17-22.jpg

Attachments

• Cabinet #1, 12-17-22.jpg
    Cabinet #1, 12-17-22.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Cabinet #2, 12-17-22.jpg
    Cabinet #2, 12-17-22.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 108

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
New year, new thread!
I took the bones from the lamb chops and the duck
Posts #894 & 895
and I am cooking up broth for the next few days. Crockpot that I asked for was smaller than I realized, but I have a workaround for that.
I admired @Phaedra 's apothocary cabinet so much that I asked for a similar one for Christmas. DD abliged me. MINE is teak with 10 drawers.
WARNING!!!
These things are very popular and many are Frightfully expensive.
I found a pretty good deal online for this one, and DD beat the deal.
I, too, will be storing my seeds in it...when I have a little bit more time this week!
View attachment 54304
Congratulation! 10 drawers are very sufficient as we need two months in the winter for a good rest. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
a HA!! Now I know your organizational secrets!! :lol:
I was sorta thinking about alphabetical...or similar type, like Brassicaceae, but...
WHATDO I KNOW!!!! :gig
A month-by-month way works pretty well for me, and you can always check what should come next. When you need to adjust the time of sowing, you can easily just bring them from one drawer to another. :D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
January is seed starting month for all of us.
I will be starting my seeds next week and they will be in the unheated basement on top of heat mats and under LED and other gro lamps.
I have a purchased parsley and rosemary plus a tuberous begonia which was living on the porch which have stolen my fridge top with a gro lamp and they have stolen the top of the fridge, which is always a good and warm place to gro. I had to move the parsley from the kitchen window, but the thyme likes it there, so it has it's winter home.
I hope to transplant last summer's basil and sage no later than tomorrow into the large pots waiting for them. The pots are tall enough to put them both on the kitchen shelf that somebody moved from the kitchen and the sink, too, many years ago. There is a basement window by part of it.
I also need to transplant 6 geraniums into the window box. I had some garden dirt and SOME CAT decided that made a better litter box than the 4 with clean litter in them. :confused::sick:sick:sick
Gotta take it outside today and clean it, then I can transplant them. I have a piece of chicken wire that looks to be wide enough to cage them so that the cats won't dig out all of the dirt when they are bored.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
All horses are fed. Mare, who developed a slight limp and has been mostly in her stall for the last week, decided, when I let her graze in the inner sanctum, walked back into the barn COVERED with BURRS!!!
Yeah, I Know that I haven't cleaned up the ones between the old chicken run and the fence, but whatEVER possessed her to walk through that, even though there isn't any grass there now, blows my mind.
I spent 45 minutes deburring her and she looked like somebody who had boils from an allergic reaction.
She stood still during the whole process, which included ME chewing her out.
The wad of burrs would fill her water bucket.
Fortunately the next week's temperatres are mild enough for me to:
1) clean up those very burrs but pulling or digging/pulling, then piling to burn
2) putting 2 barricades to keep all of the horses out of that area until it is clean and then I rake up any loose burrs.
Before I clean stalls today I will be taking a shedding brush to my mare before I turn Her out with the two boys.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm very envious of those who can start seeds so early!! The only plant I can start in Jan is hot peppers 🙃
In addition to hot chilis I really like growing cilantro, dill, and basil from seed indoors in the winter. The cilantro is a bit poky at the beginning, but once it takes off you can shear it and it grows back for a second taco or fajita supper. The basil grows fast, and smells like basil as soon as it greens up. It is very much like aromatherapy.

Latest posts