DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just posted this, so I thought I'd put it here, too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
At DD's house for the plumber to fix their shower. UNfortunately, he has had to cut into the adjoining wall.
This plumbing problem came with the house.
We used to have an excellent plumber, but he moved out of state.
I ran into him accidentally when DD and I were buying some chairs advertised on FB marketplace. He was getting ready to move in 3 weeks and I would Never have known it.
This plumber was checking on other possible plumbing issues and saw the other guy's work bc the other guy had installed a space saver sink that DD's wanted. He noticed the good work and the copper piping, too.
My other plumber was selling his work van, which had his company name, etc. painted on it.
ANother plumber wanted to buy it and capitalize on his reputation, so he found another buyer in another profession.

I am sure that DD's will be satisfied with the work being done today.
Showers will now be a thing again at their house. ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
EXcellent video on growing leeks, market gardener who studied under Eliot Coleman.

Top 3 Tricks For Growing Amazing LEEKS!​

Suggestions:
1) start leeks early inside (that would mean MY basement setup) in an open flat, instead of cells
goal for 10 inch long leeks
2) make a 9 inch deep hole for blanching the stem to BURY the leek
3) cover with straw after some growth, and add a few more inches of straw later
This is ALL doable in my 3' x 6' bed.
Next Monday (warm spell), I plan to cover the straw w/manure, with some well rotted manure/hay from the shelter, then top with 2yo soiled bedding. I have been careful to dump from this winter into another part of the south pasture instead of top of a 2021-2022 area.
The compost is really rich and has had a full year to break down and become more usable.
I guess if I end up with extra leeks I will grow them in containers.
Also This video is interesting. I am a note taker and sharing the notes I took from this video, :D
1) plant leek seeds early bc they take a long time to develop
2) use soil less mix
3) wet soil before filling cells and push planting mix into each cell
4) make a planting hole for each seed
5) 1 seed/cell
6) use your finger to cover each seed with mix around the soil
7) water lightly, like from a spray bottle
8) Sprinkle with finely milled sphagnum moss
9) put underneath a grow light and cover with a plastic dome OR a clear plastic bag to increase humidity
10)Once the seeds have germinated take OFF the plastic
11)Keep an eye on soil moisture, evenly moist, not sopping wet
12)Don't trim back and make them grow good leaves to be larger at transplanting time

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saga of DD's with inheritence$ but won't buy their new cars with it!!!!!!!! :rant:rant:rant
Eldest DD, owns a Scion. 13 months ago DH and I caravaned an hour north to rescue she and sister bc her engine blew up and they were STRANDED in KKK.
SINCE then, she has inherited enough$ to buy a NEW car outright, been dragging her feet...too much trouble...car dealerships are mean and evil and troublesome.
Yesterday, after parking from getting home from the gym, 5 minutes from their house, the oil pressure light comes on. She pulls out the manual and it indicates that it could be the sensor for oil pressure that needs repair.
I AM THINKING, this is how you blew out the other engine.
Plan to drive to a con out of state tomorrow.
Scion is now in the shop but I am not holding out hope for it. It's like a terminal illness patient, IMHO.
They are borrowing MY car, 211K miles on it, but running well to get to the con.
Last night I Swore I wouldn't lend it to them.
PROMISES are being made to begin the new car hunt on Monday.
I am expecting grapefruit vodka, pinot noir, and some other goodies out of this, and maybe 2 more shelves installed in my home office.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
They got me doughnuts and coffee this morning.
Changed my oil, rotated tires and had a general checkup at the garage this morning.
I traded for DD's Kia Rio, with ~150K miles on it.
She has offered it for price of new title to her boss's son, 16yo.
Sounds like parents want to dump $ into a new car for him.
It's a perfect 1st car, in pretty good shape, been maintained, sedan so room for passengers and stuff, black so it doesn't stand out that it would be a new driver.
If he doesn't take the offer it will be a trade in.
DD has asked me to help her test drive her next car this coming Wednesday.
We will go with a game plan and I can distract the salesperson when necessary.
1 almost down, 1 to go

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should add, I need a car to drive 10 miles to their house and feed their 2 "chonks" (slightly overweight cats) while they are away this weekend.
It was 42 degrees and lovely yesterday and by 8PM it was cold and very windy.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
She decided to change up her leek starting recommendation a few months later (start seeds together in a flat or deep container rather than individual cells):

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watched/posted Susan's video out of respect, bc she has a reputation. I have watched MANY videos suggesting making a large hole to transplant each small leek. It looks like 4-6 inches apart, and that was my plan, but I plan to plant 2x/deep as this. I have a 5ish ft long piece of pvc pipe that I was using for ... ???, and that would make a perfect leek dibbler, especially since I can stand up and use it.
I like the suggestion to put any extras in with beets or swiss chard.
Thanks for finding this! :hugs

Latest posts