Ducks Losses - Coyote

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm about 90% sure a coyote has been picking off my ducks on the pond. By Saturday I had lost 2 ducks and couldn't find any trace of them and was pretty unsure of what was going on.

I'm stuck right now, my neighbor thought she saw a coyote in broad daylight out wondering the pond. She was 100% it wasn't a dog and I tend to agree now. Its definitely a BOLD coyote and it came up to my house and snatched a 3rd duck that was sitting under my deck on a nest. But the darn girl fought for her life and got away!

I found her under a bush missing most of her neck... looks like he got away with all the skin for 2 inches above her body all the way to base of her neck. Took a good amount of muscle too because I can see her organs, which are all there and in tact. I have her neck wrapped with a sock with vaseline and neosporin until I can get some blukot and retreat her. She'll stand up and walk but she's stressing badly to move her head. If I bring her water and food she'll eat a tiny bit, but she'll drink good.

Really, I'm just looking for any advice. Whether or not I take it I can't promise.

I have a feeling someone is going to say put her down, but she's been my absolute favorite little buddy for over 3 years. I just can't bring myself to do that right yet because she fought so danged hard to live. I feel I need to respect that to a point and show her I'm proud of her and I'll fight for her if that's what she wants.

Secondly, I want to know if those danged solar night eyes work? I want to set something up to keep the coyotes away. If I catch it, that's the end of it. But obviously I haven't been vigilant enough and haven't caught it in the act to take care of the situation.

So thanks for your time and advice, I'm a little worn out and emotionally drained right now... so forgive me!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh vfem, I don't know what to say. Did she lose only her skin on the neck or part of the neck. Can you give her some type of pain killer in her water? Maybe, at least aspirin? (I don't know) If she's able to stand and walk alittle, I'd say she's pretty strong. I'd keep nursing her if it was me. Maybe some one here knows a farm vet or something.

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I went and got some stuff at tractor supply. I hope its the right stuff!

I don't want to give her pain killers, I want to keep her aware so she eats and drinks like she should. I don't think asprin is good since its a blood thinner and I need her to start clotting. I really hope eventually we can regrow skin? That is something I know nothing about. I do believe she can regrow muscle since she's missing a lot of both. I can see her neck, the tendons and even her crop because the skin is that gone.

Fingers crossed but she is very active, very social with me and fighting good.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I won't say it. But she shouldn't suffer. Sounds like only a vet could save her. I can't believe the coyote was so bold to be out in the daytime. I don't know how you can protect your animals under those circumstances. A hunter needs to take care of the problem. Lots of hunters would be happy to come and shoot the coyote. So sorry for your bird.
vfem said:
I'm about 90% sure a coyote has been picking off my ducks on the pond. By Saturday I had lost 2 ducks and couldn't find any trace of them and was pretty unsure of what was going on.

I'm stuck right now, my neighbor thought she saw a coyote in broad daylight out wondering the pond. She was 100% it wasn't a dog and I tend to agree now. Its definitely a BOLD coyote and it came up to my house and snatched a 3rd duck that was sitting under my deck on a nest. But the darn girl fought for her life and got away!

I found her under a bush missing most of her neck... looks like he got away with all the skin for 2 inches above her body all the way to base of her neck. Took a good amount of muscle too because I can see her organs, which are all there and in tact. I have her neck wrapped with a sock with vaseline and neosporin until I can get some blukot and retreat her. She'll stand up and walk but she's stressing badly to move her head. If I bring her water and food she'll eat a tiny bit, but she'll drink good.

Really, I'm just looking for any advice. Whether or not I take it I can't promise.

I have a feeling someone is going to say put her down, but she's been my absolute favorite little buddy for over 3 years. I just can't bring myself to do that right yet because she fought so danged hard to live. I feel I need to respect that to a point and show her I'm proud of her and I'll fight for her if that's what she wants.

Secondly, I want to know if those danged solar night eyes work? I want to set something up to keep the coyotes away. If I catch it, that's the end of it. But obviously I haven't been vigilant enough and haven't caught it in the act to take care of the situation.

So thanks for your time and advice, I'm a little worn out and emotionally drained right now... so forgive me!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tractor Supply will have some antibiotic you can add to her water...keep her wound as clean as possible...if she continues to eat and drink she may heal...it may take all summer...but if she is a favorite try to save her...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertlady said:
how awful ! Got to watch out for them, they will keep coming back. :(
Oh yeah, I am in the process of getting a live trap set out for it by the pond.... and a friend with a trigger finger is going to come after the trap is full!

MomofDrew, I have antibiotics, blukote, clean socks, vaseline, SWAT, nutri-drench, ect. I got a full blow hospital / clinc set up to keep her going. She talks to me every time I come up and wattle right over to get the food out of the bowl. One of the most awesome BYC neighbors is coming to visit tomorrow to help me clean her and get her to healing.

I know the best people here and BYC, they keep me going through so much of the hard times!

:hugs I love you all soooooooooooooooooooooo much!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thinking of you and your little duck friend. Hope she pulls through. Sounds like she is a real fighter.

Latest posts