dumb canning question

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been reading on this site about pressure canning stews, beans, potatoes, green beans, etc.

Forgive my dumb question but I've never seen a jar or tasted something like this. What do the foods taste like? Do they taste as if you had cooked them on the stove? Do they look the same as stove top cooking?

I've always lived in the city and this is fasinating to learn. I wish I had a good ole country friend! You people who live in rural areas are soooo lucky!:)

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, about the same! If something tastes off, you ought to not eat it--it could be spoiled in that case. You are also supposed to use high-quality fresh ingredients for the best results. Some things I think taste even better because the flavors have had time to blend (like how potato soup always tastes better the next day).

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Actually, the home canned things I make are superior in every way to any commercially canned thing I used to buy. This fall I took fresh tomatoes out of the garden. In one day they went from being on a vine in the sun to spaghetti sauce. I'm telling you, you can taste that sun-warmed tomato in that sauce. You'd never get that taste in a jar of Prego or Classico or Ragu. I make a vegetable bean soup using only fresh from the garden vegetables and that soup is so wonderful tasting, pretty and healthy that you just gotta eat another bowl.
That's why I can. The taste can't be beat, the ingredients are all fresh and chemical free, it's cheaper and healthier.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some things taste much better homemade. Any tomato product, much better homemade.

Unless you're canning heritage breeds of dry beans (as in baked beans, for example), there's not a real significant difference in taste, it's more of a convenience. I don't can green beans except as dilly beans, because I don't like 'em mushy, but otherwise they taste about the same. Things that taste significantly better: low-sugar jams, fruit, antipasto veggies, roasted peppers.

Homemade stew is far superior to any Campbell's or Progresso product. We used to make stew in the autoclave at work: pack cut-up veggies of choice (carrots, potatoes, celery, onions etc.), seasonings, and raw meat into a canning jar. Top up with wine of choice. Run on the liquid cycle--approximately 1 hour at 15-20 psig. Made the best stew ever!

But mostly the home-canned stuff is better for the same reason that home-grown is better: I'm growing varieties that can't be bought in any grocery store, not even Whole Foods or the local farmers' market. Even in the middle of August, there is merely one crate of tomatoes at the market labeled, "heritage tomatoes" and they are all varieties sort of mixed together so you don't have more than, say, two Green Zebras in a box crammed with a bunch of other stuff.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think my home caned stuff is better because there is less salt and no added food coloring and all that other junk that is on the list of ingredients on labels.

Is there a farmers market close to you where you can get fresh stuff?

This is my latest attempt at canning, venison.
CanedBambi.jpg

DH is a avid hunter and we waste nothing.

Nancy

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree, anything homemade is the absolute best, store bought just cannot compete.
You also avoid all those chemicals and preservatives that they put in packaged food.
I made a turkey soup after Thanksgiving and my family could not get enough of it.
I made 12 quarts so I thought I would be able to freeze some but it went so fast there wasn't time.
Even my youngest children told me how much better our soup is than the canned kind.
I have a son that won't touch canned soup, just doesn't eat it but he sat down and ate huge bowls of our homemade.
I like to cook so I don't mind the extra time it takes to make everything from scratch, especially when its something I have grown or raised myself.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yum! That venison looks so good! :D

My great aunt raised and canned rabbit. So every time family came to visit, she would pull down a couple of jars and sizzle it up in the frying pan for dinner. It was SO good. Stores just can't compete with that.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for responding!:)

Pumpkinpeep - I wish I could get on a plane right now and come over!;)

Rosalind - My mouth is watering!:)

farmerlor - That spaghetti sauce sounds the best! I wish I could do that.:p

Rockytopsis - Thank you for the photo. I love to see canning jars. Can you believe I've never tasted venison! See what I mean, I have missed so much by having never lived in the country! I wish I could have lived in the country and the city.

Simplelife - Wish I could go over and cook with you so that I can learn how to make that turkey soup!

You have all made me feel warm, fuzzy, and dreamy!:) Thank you so much!

Mary

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I've been reading on this site about pressure canning stews, beans, potatoes, green beans, etc.

Forgive my dumb question but I've never seen a jar or tasted something like this. What do the foods taste like? Do they taste as if you had cooked them on the stove? Do they look the same as stove top cooking?

I've always lived in the city and this is fasinating to learn. I wish I had a good ole country friend! You people who live in rural areas are soooo lucky!:)

Mary
Actually you don't have to live in the country to do canning. Even gardening can be done in the city. Whether you have a back yard for a patch or even in containers on a balcony or window box, you could grow something.
I live in suburbs with only enough room for a garden and a few chickens for eggs. But in the past I've lived in apartments and grew a tomato or two and some herbs.
Check and ask around at your work, church, or social circles you're involved in....I'd bet somewhere, someone would know someone else that does do canning and I think most canners would love to share their info/experiences. If you still can't find any buddy, check on craigslist to see if anyone is offering canning classes or college's.
If all that still doesn't give you some learning, find a Ball Canning book-gives you step by step procedures-perfect for the beginner. Just remember, getting started is you're biggest expen$e. Buy the canner, jars, rings, flat lids (these need replaced every time) and food to put in them. But once you've done that, you just have to buy the flat lids and food. When first starting out, use the water bath for jams, pickles, fruit and tomatoes. Then when you're more experienced and comfortable with canning procedures you may want to try pressure canning for meats and veggies.
The greatest satisfaction comes not so much that you've done it yourself, but from knowing exactly what's in your food because you put it there. Especially when commercial processed foods are recalled for contamination and you go to your cupboard for that same type of food and you know it's safe!
That happened here a few years back but from the garden....when spinach was recalled, we had fresh spinach on our table-straight from our garden.
:frow Anyway, best of luck to ya whatever you decide. "come on back now ya hear" :D

eta-the foods taste the same coming out of the jar as they did going in (other than some "cooked" taste because of the heat during processing)

Latest posts