Dying Tomato Plants Just Arrived

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ordered some Green Zebra tomato plants a few weeks ago and they just arrived today via US mail (a week in transit).
They look like they're giving up on living. The leaves are crispy and brittle.
Is it at all possible to revive them???

(The plants actually look better in the photo.)

deadtomatoplants011.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just my opinion: If those were mine, I would water them really well and set them in a light area, not direct sun, for a while. If the leaves don't perk up at all, I would cut the stems off ---maybe just above where the first leaves are (were). There's a good chance they will start growing again from there. Tomatoes are actually pretty durable. In the old days, we used to sell them bare-root, like strawberry plants. They were limp as a rag, but they managed to perk up and do their tomato thing. After you see some new growth, fertilize very lightly.

Of course, the other thing you could do is send your photo to the company you got them from and ask for a refund.

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you.
I watered them with some plant food figuring that might help (I don't know).
The soil was so hard the water just ran off the top, so I am watering from the bottom.
They are sitting underneath my grow lamp in the house.
Hopefully, they'll perk up.
It's the ONLY green variety we'll have this year.
:fl

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The company said they won't have any more Green Zebra tomatoes till NEXT YEAR, so I'm stuck with these.
The company did provide a refund, however.
I had never tried the Green Zebra before, so I was really looking forward to it.

I had already put the plant food in the water, but I'll keep adding plain water going forward till they perk up (or die).
Thanx a bunch for all of your help.
:)

Latest posts