Early Garden Starts

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a 2-step process, Ducks. First you appease the appropriate gardening gods. I don't know which ones you use or how you do it. That's up top you.

Then take an empty container, I used a coffee can, put in the sweet potato, and fill maybe 1/3 full with water. I do not use toothpicks like many do for avocados. Organic bottled spring water imported from Fiji works well, but I just use tap water. I'm not as sophisticated as some. Then put it somewhere high. Use appropriate protection so your spouse doesn't get mad at you for ruining the top of whatever you set it on.

That's a Beauregard, by the way. For some reason they had a dark coating this year. I have no idea why, but the potato is great so I didn't worry about it.

Sweet Can.JPG

In all seriousness, it needs to be high. Some people use the top of their refrigerator. Warm air rises and this needs to be in as warm a place as you can get it. I'm right on the border. Occasionally its a bit too cold up there and the sweet potato rots.

I brought those carvings back when I was working in Angola, Africa.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
And that coffee can goes so well with your African carvings, Ridge!
Thanks for mentioning that they need warmth. I'm going to go bring mine up from the basement, and put it on the fridge right now.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS, Yes I keep some in 5 gal pails out in the greenhouse and on my back deck, all growing season.
Before the weather turned and the ground froze I filled about 15 5 gal pails with fresh compost, they're sitting on my deck ready for use.
I'll try and follow these throughout the year.
ducks4, I plant way more than 1 seed per cell. This evening I repotted some Cubanelle peppers that were started in an 8 oz styro cup, there were over a dozen starts in that one cup, some were over 6" of plant with 3" of root, but a couple still only had their starter leaves. (I can't think of the proper name for the first 2 leaves a plant begings with, help me out!!!!) I transplant peppers just like tomatos, bury as much of the stem as I can.

THANX RICH

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed leaves.

Starter leaves is just as close to the Latin or Greek, however.

Some folks say 10 gallons per tomato plant. THAT would effectively keep me from ever doing it!

DW says she wants a "patio" tomato again this year. :)

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I got bored this morning and did a search for the name of a plants first leaves and here's what I found;
cotyledons or seed leaves ... They are cotyledonary leaves because they are the cotyledons that have turned green.

THANX RICH

Latest posts